Thursday 22 June 2017

Clocking off ..... proper life decision


Not a small scale clocking off.... a real life event as I have resigned from my job of the last 29 years and 11 months and will be no longer a paying in member of society come the 8th September 2017.

I will be retiring into hobbies/bucket lists/house husbandry and all things not work related.

Work does define you - it does/did me and when you get joy from work that definition is a positive one, however when you eventually realise you are grinding and grudgingly working through your day it is burning precious seconds only a fool or a desperate man would continue to spend those seconds in such a negative way.

I have worked solid all of my life - never been unemployed. I started my print apprenticeship on the 4th September 1978 and have worked since.... that will be 39 years to the day. When I set out on my working life I do recall having a goal - or aspiration/dream of finishing when I was 55.... well I will miss that target by 23 days  - 23 days over 39 years is not too far off ?

There is a back story to me ending work, nothing sensational but if we ever meet I am sure parts of it will be told, maybe not.

I'll end this note by reminding myself of what was said on a related course quite recently.

Don't call it 'retirement',  call it 'reinvention' 

So for the last time I'll take something from a work sponsored course and say I am reinventing myself, stripping off that work definition I have assumed in the past with gladness and in the latter years with a little bitterness. What will a reinvented Nev be .... well time will tell.

And that is the most important point of all - time ....there are few opportunities in life to buy time but by sacrificing my pension and excluding myself from the pursuit of material wealth I hope to be more relaxed happier and content. Time to try it out .......




19 comments:

LittleInsect said...

well done Nev. When I got made redundant, even though I was past retirement age, I was full of resentment and disappointment that someone had taken away from me my life choice of when to retire. However, everything happens for a purpose, and now my life is full of things that I never had time for. So much so, that I wonder how I ever found time to work. I wish you peace and life fulfillment.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nev i reinvented myself six years ago i can only recommend it,im sure you will have no regrets
Norwyn

Nev Wells said...

Thanks Sue, I am glad it has worked out for you. I am in the position of being able to control my decision timings, some frustration I was never extended to my limits especially after three years gaining my Masters.... but life is so short and we are really so insignificant in whatever cosmic story we are part of ..... so it was an easy decision really. Happy days

Nev Wells said...

Thanks Norwyn, more time for proper fishing now and no excuses not getting a few PB !! Plus lots and lots of boating

Mandy Wright said...

Good for you Nev. Carpe Diem because we don't know how many diems we have left!

Nev Wells said...

Mandy, thank you and I fully subscribe to the words you have written. Your approach to life has been a guide to me in how to think about work and everything else.... long may you continue to enjoy the freedoms that your lifestyle affords. When we value our lives by the material cost of them we devalue the gift of time and opportunity - IMHO

Unknown said...

Hey brother welcome to the world of freedom!The only boss you will have is yourself and only you will determine how good a boss he is!xxx

Nev Wells said...

.... i may have another part time bossette, Rachel as she will be the bread winner from September but the time allocation of my day I will certainly be the master of that. Looking forward to joining your club, you will just have to let Bill out to play a bit on the boat and in the hills !!

Andy Tidy said...

Congratulations Nev, I know exactly where you are coming from. I. Enjoyed the career for years but then the last four or five years became a drag and I was very aware that the sands of time were slipping away. I managed 37 years and, like you, decided to sacrifice some pension to enjoy more time living a life I wanted to lead. Hopefully we will meet up after all these years!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a proper plan

Les said...

I am so very happy for you Nev, another friend who retired at a more "expected" 65 is now 71 and I never see him.. he's too busy living, riding, seeing his grandchild and so many other things!

Nev Wells said...

Thanks Les, it's good to read those that have gone before me have made a success of their retirement. Let's hope you can tread the track sometime soon. Take care

Nev Wells said...

Hi Andy,

Based on the smiles I see on your blog your decision was the right one. Yes boating will hopefully be a significant part of initially mine and then Rachels retirement, and we look forward to meeting up - I cannot think I'll miss you "rig" take care

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

Congratulations Nev, now life part two begins in earnest and you have just the right attitude. Hope our bows meet this year! Love and hugs to you and Rachel,
Jaq xxx

Nev Wells said...

Hi Jaq,

I'll be reading your blog as ever looking out for you as you either come my way or I head to you as I do plan an extended Autumn cruise this year ;-)) Take care

Tom and Jan said...

Go for it Nev...... Life is too short to fill it with regrets

Nev Wells said...

Thanks Tom and Jan, I don't think I could ever take the giant steps you pair have taken but in my conservative approach it's a biggy.

Take care and keep blogging

Jim said...

I knew retirement was the right thing for me when I realised that none of my friends who had already retired, most of them younger than me, were regretting it. I'm sure you'll make the most of it and I'm looking forward to keeping up with your adventures via the blog.

Nev Wells said...

Thanks Jim, still not finding many who have regretted it.... just one but he did go at 50. Well I hope my adventures get realised. One thing I was inspired to do from John Nokes Blue Peter days was walk the Pennine way with my dog, he did it with Shep I hope to do it next year with Leia.... need a good few more walks like tonight in and out of the Churnet valley.