Saturday 9 October 2021

Surveyed and poorly in the dock

I’m my own worse enemy. I set myself targets and as I get older they seem harder to attain. Anyway, Thursday at 8am I was on the boat ready to go into the dock. 8.45 am and the lads lifted the first stop plank to fill the dock and quickly we were pulling Percy into the dock. 

I drank coffee while the boat was jet washed then the surveyor arrived and set to for the insurance survey. It was more comprehensive than I was expecting ( advised there was no issues preventing me getting insurance plus plenty of good advice for the future) the time taken put me back so I was only able to scrape and wire brush one side before my time ran out and I headed home for a bath and bed. 

Friday was a tough day…. I arrive and set to scraping and wire brushings the other side then cracked open the blacking and spent the next five and a half hours blacking both sides. Thankfully Rachel arrived half way and set to with brush and roller. 

I overdid it with no break and by 5pm was feeling quite sick from the constant exposure to the stinky blacking. Still we got to where we needed to be as today, Saturday we wanted to leave the first coat to cure and did the tunnel bands. 

Tomorrow ( suitably masked up) we are both back in the dock to give the boat a second coat plus a second coat to the tunnel bands 

Monday is curing day and some gloss black touch up plus a general tidy up ready for refloating on Tuesday at 9am. I’ll have to get there early on Tuesday to put the fenders back on and then homeward bound…. More on that later.







No comments: