Tuesday 22 August 2023

A few catch up posts for my memories - Solar and shocks

For those here for boating these may not be of interest really they are all for my reflections as I like to see what I was doing when and where ....

10th May we were getting our house battery installed as well as a car charger - no car yet. I had installed a off grid system with Pylontech batteries and Growatt inverter that worked as I planned it but there were issues around G99 or more critically for the install I did G99 notification to the DNO  - distribution network operator. 

In the end not being happy with the questionable performance of the Growatt inverter and the legality of the install  plus the limitations of the power it was providing  I took it all out sold it on and had a professional company come in and hook up my solar to a decent inverter and battery. 

It has exceeded my expectations to the point we had a second battery installed the other week and I added a bit more solar to get the morning sun. It's very much how most boater get and store their power albeit on a larger scale. The grand plan is to get rid of the oil and have electric heating .... but we have to run this system for a while and have our share in co-operative wind farm come on stream before we take that step. 

I was also fitting a new shock absorber in preparation for a interesting motorcycle trip. The stock shock that comes with my Honda 750 bike is limited - ok for solo riders but 2 up with luggage it needs better.

Next post our France and Ireland trip ...

No comments: