Saturday, 22 August 2026

Community which I like

Ok so the last post was a bit negative, just how I was feeling but the C&RT sentiment is baked in. In contrast we have been on the moorings here for a while now and its nice to feel part of a micro community of people with all different stories to tell as to why they have a boat and are moored here. Not my stories to tell but nice that I get to chat boats and  life.

The painting is progressing, due to us facing due East we have to wait until the afternoon for the work to start.... but there are other bits and bobs I have been doing. 

We've always struggled with a cracking of the paint  in the roof where the steel joints over the engine room. There is some filler that does not help. many years ago I was talking to a boaty neighbour  - Kev at Fradley, again stories to tell but not mine but the bottom line was he ended up painting his own boat on the mooring, then got a job in the paint dock at Streethay then eventually took the painting dry dock on at Fradley junction. Impressive approach, anyhow he advised using metal epoxy rather than normal external filler.... so that has been my other job this week, removing the old cracked filler, a good sanding back and then Fertan. Today it got its first coat of said liquid metal ( I've just used the same on my bike for  a small repair and was impressed. ) I need some more that Amazon are delivering to the garage in Newport I'll add that let it sety and sand and paint on Monday.

It does not have to be too pretty as I have invested in a flexible solar panel to replace the old 145w one that was on Waterlilty then Percy. It fits nicely looks much nicer and will cover the repair and protect it in the future as I intent using sealant to stick it to the roof. Not as efficient as the panels get hotter but in my thinking unless it's a decent air gap water is going to get trapped and that will never be good for the paint or the roof. 

No photos must get some of the painting and the roof repair and solar panel. 

No comments: