Saturday 10 December 2016

The madness of men

... ok I am sure there will be a few ladies out there doing what I (we) did the first Sunday in December.

My friends in the south organise a SBC  - Sunday Breakfast Club, a meet for a coffee, a ride around the south east somewhere finishing at an establishment that serves cooked breakfasts. Now when the sun is high and the fields and hedgerows are green this is a good idea. However when the sun is low and bright and the temperature is minus 4 c at 8am you have to question the sanity of those involved.

But hardy and roughty tufty biker I am I was donning my thermals at 7.30 am Sunday morning and heading out to Newlands Corner via Watery Lane.... but it was Ice Lane. When I did the 50 plus miles and met my fellow bikers I was advised on the Pan it was showing -4c I think if I'd known that I'd have turned round before hitting Icy Lane !


My BlueDeau is in the foreground


The view from Newlands Corner


 Yep - very icy, but riding in such conditions keeps your awareness sharp !



Warmth and sustenance 


It did not last long the body furnace was burning hard to keep me warm 


Might have to miss the January one as I think I'll be on the boat that weekend, but we'll see !

No comments: