Wednesday 5 August 2020

Sadly time to get rid

Nope not Percy but I'm delivering on my pledge to change.... remember that, read it here Click Me 

Specifically I planned to scrap my old Rover I typed;

"My old Rover is financially worthless but it is also a diesel, 35mpg, very heavy, large and in the main overkill for moving me and Leia around. It's high tax as it's a relatively high emissions diesel vehicle."

A quadruple dose of good has come from its sad (to me) demise. 

  1. The planet has had a polluter removed.
  2. I used Charitycar as the agent to help me scrap the car. They basically operate as the middle person and arranged for my car to be collected by a dealer ( I asked the car be scrapped not sold on) then I choose what charity I want the proceeds of the sale of the car to go to. We chose CoolEarth a charity working to halt the deforestation of the rain forests and therefore protecting our environment. 
  3. Whilst I didn't buy an electric car for its replacement the car I did buy was being sold as the guy was getting an electric car - so one dirty diesel out and one no emissions electric car in - result.
  4. The car I brought is polar opposite from my Rover - it's a Toyota IQ so from diesel to Petrol, from 2 litres to one litre, from nearly 5 metres to under three metres..... still an automatic though.
So I feel good today, it helps the IQ fits in the garage (just) with my bikes. The IQ has a tax of just £20 per year - the Rover was £320. The savings I recon on fuel will be over £400 per year and servicing will be cheaper as well as hopefully less MOT work in the future (its only got 34k on the clock)

Here is the wee beasty 



So a homage to my Rover. 

I brought it in January 2015 from a dealer in Burnley, found for me by my then transport manager at the Uni who I provided a spec of a car I wanted to replace the petrol hungry and wallow'y Honda CRV (That I brought specifically to take my late father in law back to Wales for one last visit in 2014.) James came up trumps with a Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 Contemporary SE 5DR 'Genuine 66k + FSH + Massive spec! (the advert I still have) 

I needed a comfy tourer for the 200 mile each way trip I was doing each fortnight to Chichester where Rachel was working  - its all in the blog ! I'd leave work on a Thursday evening and then drive the three and a half hours to Rachel, work at home on the Friday then on the Monday morning my alarm would go off at 4.45 am and I'd be on the road for 5 am to get to work in Derby for 8.30am.... after stopping off a the boat at Fradley to drop Leia off and in the winter set a fire going so the boat was warm on my return in the evening  ( another 30 minute drive from Derby to Fradley) 

I needed a mini limo that the Rover was with leather fully adjustable seats cruise control decent lights etc etc. 

The Rover was also used a van, my youngest son will attest to this as it was used to transport literally tons of stuff from his flat refurb to the tip in London - I even drove his cut up bathroom suit from London to Ashbourne to the tip there on my way home one time !!  

Indeed its last trip for us was to take a load of sleepers from our cottage to the mooring to make some better steps and a small retaining wall.


It only let me down once when the alternator expired at about 130,000 miles.

I brought it at 66,000 miles and drove it to 158,000. The biggest mileage year by MOT I think was 22,000. Now retired I think (not counting the bike miles) I'll struggle to hit 6,000 miles.

Simply the best car I've ever owned by a country mile, but not what I or the planet needs now so it's just started its last journey. Its a shame in some ways it'll not be stripped for parts, there is a very helpful and active Rover 75 community, but this way it'll be as the pick up driver said "baked bean tins before you know it" So for now every time I open a tin of beans in the future I'll reflect on my trusty old Rover how great a car it was for truly strange living times for Rachel and me.


RIP faithful and much loved Rover 




15 comments:

KevinTOO said...

Very noble indeed Nev 😀
But 'Mainline Ford' are primarily a seller of used ford parts... just saying đŸ€”

Nev Wells said...

Hi Kevin, Yes I was aware they will scrap (crush) the Rover. It could maybe should have gone to someone who would have taken bits off (it was a high spec car !) but then they'd be used to keep other 'old' cars on the road. Difficult decision but in the end it's one less 'dirty diesel' out there...(and I was advised to buy a diesel by those who know as they said at the time it was safer for the environment !)

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Well done, you! A good decision, but not an easy one.
Cheers, Marilyn (nb Waka Huia)

Nev Wells said...

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for the comment. It was the memories of many hours in the car and some hard drives away from Rachel but some long drives to Rachel that gave me the emotional connection to the car. I took the clock out ( a Rover feature) and my boss in his retirement is a wood turner so I’m going to ask him to turn something to mount the clock in.... then it’ll live on Percy. It’s important ( to me) we all do our small, bits to make a global effort.... maybe pie in the sky thinking but at least I can sleep better now I have taken one polluter off the road and replaced it with something that hopefully will be fuelled by free energy .... take care

Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for cars sydney
cash for old cars sydney

Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
cash for cars beenleigh
cash for unwanted cars beenleigh

cash for cars QLD said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for cars caboolture
cash for car caboolture

Charlie Lix said...

Car Recycling Canberra is the Top Cash for Car provider in Canberra. For Instant Cash for Cars and Free Car Removal.
Car Recycling Canberra

Ad Cash 4 Cars said...

Get top dollar cash for car removals Glenelg including free towing or pickup from your doorstep. We buy cars in any condition such as old, broken, damaged etc.
car removal Glenelg

Max Tiney said...

Selling a car privately can be time-consuming, but you might get a better price. Here's what you'll need to do Advertise your car to potential buyers.
sell car privately

APlus Car Removal said...

Sell my car Melbourne, Avoid selling your car privately with more hassle, With Gold Car Removal sell your used, old, damaged, scrap car.
sell my car melbourne

Benz Well said...

Car Removal Werribee Our company offers a free car removal service to the owner of old, damaged, and scrap vehicles.
car removal werribee

Adam Micheel said...

Businesses benefit greatly from creative writers. Making money online and offline is easier when you have a blog. When we begin working with Cash for Cars Sydney, we will announce details about our on-the-spot cash transfer service.

Cash For Cars NSW said...

Businesses benefit from creative writers. When you write more articles and blog posts, you're more likely to earn money. In a company called Cash For Cars NSW, we will describe Sell My Cars Sydney, which provides cash for cars and car removals.

Metal Biz Recyclers said...

Readers' attention must be retained by authors. Recyclers like Metal Biz Recycler are among the best in the industry. Among the services we provide at our company is cash for used and new cars. Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have. The friendly and knowledgeable employees at my company make working there enjoyable. Furthermore, Metal Biz provides automobile products and services, including Cash for Cars Brisbane. Visit Metal Biz online to learn more.