- In the main apart from our wonderful health and service sectors plus others we are getting a forced rest
- Our planet is breathing fresh air again
- We are talking to our friends and neighbours much more
- Great acts of kindness and friendship are happening (see my free beer offer)
- Many of those 'jobs I'll do when I have time' are getting done
- Our homes have never been cleaner !
- Working at home (and therefore less commuting = less pollution) is now viable
- We are appreciating the simple things such as reliable technology, food in the shops, sunshine, love, family, friendships, planning ahead, natture, remembering past holidays, playing games, spending time with the kids.... many many more positives...
So - 'something not quite normal' will be our future. But thats ok, life is constantly changing, events change lives, positively and sadly sometimes negatively, but life is about living and adapting. So what does this scribbler think will change, simply put YOU will change, you will change based on how the world adapts post virus.
The world will be poorer, but that's no bad thing. It will give new growth and investment opportunities and there will be a need and willingness to support such growth. There will be a levelling of wealth, sure not some communist dream but and here is an important point in MY pledge to change we need to be fairer and more supportive, and here is the even more critical change point the support should be focussed on environmental humanitarian considerations... for ME that's...
- More charity
- More ethical purchases
- More ethical investments
- More environmental considered purchases
- More staycations
- Less European and international travel
- Certainly less air travel
- Constant review of how I can be a better human
- Add yours in the comments below to inspire me ?
It's ok me pontificating about all the stuff I can and will do, yes I'm retired, yes I have a small and believe me it is small pension but I HAVE to make changes otherwise this life lesson is lost and wasted on me and that will be the same for the billions around the world.
So specifics from the list above for me as I've pondered this opportunity (please see it as an opportunity) ...
Critical point here and I've wrestled with it over the last couple of weeks is spending money. There is a lot of stuff we don't need but is sold to us as essential, I've blogged about this before. So targeted spending to support our economy is essential. Buy local (support all those shops that supported us during the lockdown) Buy UK products where you can. Spend money in pubs (yes) and cafes. Book B&B's and hotels for local trips no need to go to Barcelona for the weekend when you can do the Peak district, East Anglia, Wales and Scotland are beautiful locations for short breaks (use the money saved and take the train and talk to people ?) Spend but spend wisely and spend in a supportive way?
Back to my pledge to change....
- Do I need two motorbikes when one does 45 mpg and the other does 80mpg.....
- I have Percy so staycations are a given (along with my 80 mpg motorbike)
- The motorbike touring in this country will put money back into the UK economy
- Make do and mend, I've amazed myself what I can turn my hand to and repurpose and continue to do so, it's enjoyable saves money and saves resources.
- My Old Rover is financially worthless but is also a diesel 38 mpg very heavy large and in the main overkill for moving me and Leia around. It's high tax as its a relatively high emissions car so it needs to go.
- We need to invest in an electric car
- More efficient home power use. Need to get some low environmental impact (wood) double glazing at home to both keep the fitters and makers in work and save ££'s and oil use.
- We will grow a few more veggies. We don't have a large garden but are making troughs for summer veg and planting in our cottage garden borders also (how it used to be I'm told by Rachel)
- Other stuff I've not yet considered but will keep the 'change' option in the forefront of decision making.
That'll do for now. Putting these words down in my blog really is the start but an essential act to make myself the promise to change. Hopefully these changes if done in any small part by the rest of the world (and that's you dear reader) will make a change and send a ripple around the world and hopefully redirect all of our futures to a brighter place physically and emotionally ?
Stay safe and please please follow the government advice to protect all our essential worker by staying local and minimising your personal contact.