Wednesday 1 April 2020

A sad goodbye

Today we said our family goodbyes to Christine, Rachels mum. She died on the 16th March with Rachel and myself with her in her own home in no pain and surrounded with love. That love had kept her safe and well for quite a few years as her health declined.

The burial was limited to just her five children and her brother with me bring allowed to attend to live stream it to family and friends. It all worked and while small in numbers there was much love across the family as they watched in their individual locations.

I've always felt like one of the family, a sure sign of a loving welcoming  family unit. I've known Christine for over forty years, she was a formidable lady, certainly to a 16 year old who wanted to go out with her daughter. She did however have a weakness for compliments (easy to give) I can't recall how many times I told her she was my favourite mother in law, it always got the raised eyebrows by response !

She is resting in peace in a lovely rural location that will see a gathering later in the year when we plant a tree over her grave that in years to come will enable us to give it a hug and once again hug Christine.

"My favourite mother in law"

2 comments:

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

Hi Nev and Rachel,
My deepest condolences on your loss. May you all have many fond and funny memories of her to share in times to come, from which you each may draw some strength. Those who are remembered, live on in us. I am also sorry to read that you Nev are experiencing health issues of your own. May it be easily remedied mate. Please keep us posted.

These are strange times indeed. I saw your test video from the roof of your cottage and I loved it. Believe it or not it made me homesick for Britain! Lovely and thank you for sharing. I would like your permission to share it so that my American friends and family can really get a lovely view of a wonderful slice of British life.

Please both of you and all of yours stay safe, stay well.
Love Jaq xxx

Nev Wells said...

HI Jaq,

Good to hear from you, I am sending strength and good wishes to you and all of our American friends. Thank you for your condolences, the service went very well and gave all who attended both physically and interneterlly great comfort. We are looking forward to a further celebration and planting her tree.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the test video and for sure you can share it as much as you like. Looking into the valley towards the Caldon canal and where I often recall you and Les on Valerie outside the Black lion pub with the steam train..

Stay safe and happy, keep smiling.

Nev x