Friday 27 November 2020

A boat blog - stove ordered

Sadly the Ex GWR guards stove I have on Percy in the back cabin  (not connected  - no stove pipe) is not really safe enough to use. Ironically it will pass a Boat Safety test with an advisory on a not sealing 'door' the door is really a drop down flap and could not easily be sealed. The same for the ash door  - there isn't one just a 'stopper'. 

Don't worry dear reader the Ex GWR stove will give heat but it'll be in my workshop at home. There used to be an old copper  - remember them, that I took out, so there is a chimney I can drop a liner down and fashion a connection to the top for the GWR stove  - it'll be a lash up but a safe one I will aim for. 

I need a replacement as I do intend some winter cruising ( best time of the year to cruise if it's dry)  So a Friday of colour is here and Midland Chandlers are doing a deal on their stoves with 10 % off. So a Puffin 4kw has been ordered. British made and steel construction with a cast door. The reason for this stove was availability, size and critically flue size of 4" which is what is needed for the collar on the boat. 

I've ordered what I think is needed for the flue and need to sort out the area its going in. I have the details for the recommended safe install  - the section on to be installed by a competent person means I'll have to be sober when I do it and I need to get some fire board, concrete board  and tiles. It will be a nice winter project allowing me to spend some time aboard while doing this and it'll be another job off the list of boat jobs. 




No comments: