Saturday 6 October 2018

Winter protection

When we had Percy painted three years ago now (!) the advice we got from John the painter was give the boat a wash and wax twice a year. Not expensive stuff, but something to act as a wear coat for the respective following seasons. When I had responsibility for the cleaning section at the Uni they did the same but for floors. Adding a sacrificial polish coat that took the wear and some tear ...it maxed out the life of the vinyl we used at the time....

Last 12 months were mad busy so it has been left a season or two longer than I would have liked so Percy has had a good wash and buff up with microfibre cloths yesterday then today it was over 200 feet of wax on and polished off...my goodness my arms ache 😖.

All worthwhile but hard work. Just a wash with car wash and wax and it looked ok, but you only see the benefit of the polish as you put it on next to the unpolished sides.























There is some damage to the paint, some can be sorted other is wear and tear and cannot. I am in contact with John the painter to see if I can get the bad bits looked at next year.

The good news is John has come back to me and we have a tacit agreement for the works to be done mid 2019. At the same time we’ll give the boat a blacking and hopefully she’ll be ready for three more years. It’ll also be a nice cruise back down the Staffs and Worcester to Stourton junction then up the Stourbridge canal. We (or I) may then head to Stourport and maybe onto the river .....


No comments: