Tuesday 18 December 2018

BOAT - Bring Out Another Thousand - so true

My latest 'package' arrived yesterday. It was two genuine Lister head gaskets for the CS range of 'pots'.  Richard, the fellow who used to have our mooring at Shebdon is a marine engineer and seems to know his stuff so I asked him if he would do me a head gasket and decoke on Percy. He straight away suggested I get the original head gaskets from Lister rather than the many copper types available on line. The reason - the originals have a lovely asbestos core that helps the 'fit'. He will be taking the heads away and getting them checked and skimmed if needed.

On the original survey Balio Fowden my surveyor advised there may be a slight weep from the head gaskets. I have tolerated this as it was external albeit it has damaged a bit of the block and head paintwork. The recent overheat make it prudent to have the heads off and the gaskets replaced.

Anyhow the cost for the two gaskets was just shy of £100 eek!! There is a reason people use the above acronym... and I still have to buy batteries and now I'm looking at other 'tech' in the engine room to measure the input and output of the amps from the alternator/battery bank to better manage my batteries - another blog to come on that one  !!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Nev,

Just randomly stumbled across this update in your blog on nb Percy.
I wish you'd contacted us about the engine. I fear you may have wasted your money on the head gaskets.
From what I can see the set you have bought is for the original Lister CS. The one you have is built with a larger cylinder bore size, to give increased capacity and therefore increased power rating. I don't think the gaskets you have will fit as they will be for a smaller bore!

Regards,

Paul Redshaw

Nev Wells said...

Hi Paul,

It never occurred to me. I asked Richard as he came recommended and he was that much closer than you and Tony now we have moved up a bit. Looks like they'll be going back !! Can you recall how much it was bored out by?