Tuesday 24 December 2019

Here’s the truth

So it's Christmas Eve. We have had out youngest son stay over with us for a couple of days which in itself is the most valuable of Christmas presents. On Sunday my family came together to eat, share stories, experiences and play games, a great afternoon and evening was had by all, many travelling good distances to be there. Twenty of us in all and still a few missing for good reason.

Last night we were sitting talking to son number two -  Callum and got around to the morbid but essential discussions around end of life care, wills and all associated points, I should reaffirm we have an open and all encompassing relationship with our two lads so such topics are easily discussed without embarrassment or sorrow.

We were discussing items that were important to us in terms of passing down ‘stuff’. Rachel has her wishes for important items that have come to her from grandparents and in some cases great grand parents. We need to ensure the history of ownership of those important items is documented so as to keep the chain of history for future generations, holding something that has such depth of history is akin to listening to the whispers of those that have gone before.

For me the only things I wished to be treasured are my growing blog books... 2 now and will be many more as I build my little library in 2020 to get as close to 2019's musing as possible. Callum picked the latest up and was engaged in instant memories. For me thats all I wish to pass down - my memories, albeit in printed form from the electronic blog. It gives a taste of who we were and what we did and may provide some fascination for generations to come.

So if you are reading this great great grandchildren, this was as much for you as it was for me.

To all others who come by for a read - Happy Christmas and a safe and health New Year.


4 comments:

Jo Edwards said...

Hello Nev,
It was a lightbulb moment for me when I read about you converting your blog to books. I never had a blog but kept a boat journal for the twenty years we had Sarah Kate (sold this year) and had been wondering how I could put all the journals together. A book ....or in my case, as yours, books plural.
Could I please ask which company you are using to create your books? I'm considering Blurb but would appreciate another opinion. Thanks.
Jo

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

Beautifully written Nev, really lovely. Wishing you, Rachel, your children and grandchildren, continued good health, deep joy, laughter and love in the company of good hearts and quick minds, and years of happy cruisig ahead.

Biggs big hugs and lots of love,

Jaq xxx

Nev Wells said...

Hi Jo, 20 years that’s some memories. I use blog2print only really as they were one of the few printing blogs to hard back books back when I had my first year printed, as I wish to keep the same style I’m sticking with them, not cheap but good quality and efficient. Good luck with the project.

Jaq, always a pleasure to hear from you. I’m pleased my words were so well received. I’m also happy to understand you are now in much closer proximity to your precious family. Take care

Jo Edwards said...

Thank you Nev. Jo