Thursday 4 June 2020

C’mon C&RT get lobbying

In their announcement on the 13th May C&RT gave their outline to opening the waterways fully. The   big date was the 1st of June when the waterways were to be fully opened for travel. In mid May they advised they were lobbying government to remove the ‘ second home’ connections to those thousands  of boats sitting like ours waiting to be used fully with onward trips from marinas and mornings with overnight stops to enable those onward journeys. The 1st has come and gone and no news, no update. I’ve written to C&RT asking where our representation is .... even if it’s not good news it needs updating.

I am trying to be good, we were out the other day and I was trying hard not to assume some boats out were marina or online moorers stopping out for the night(s).

I’ve been good to this point, as much for our safety and to tow the government’s line, today for some reason it feels hard  - maybe it’s seeing all the protesters disregarding their own safety. A hard decision no doubt for a cause some feel its worth risking lives for, I certainly respect  the peaceful protesters for taking the risk and the risk to others. I certainly have no respect for those that resort to violence in demonstrations against violence. My old dad used to say to me “He who strikes the first blow looses the argument”

Anyhow come on C&RT get lobbying and get communicating with us boaters.

4 comments:

Carol said...

The rivers controlled by the EA are all fully open and are being used for what has obviously been onward travel and overnight stays and it has been busy too.

Nev Wells said...

Hi Carol, Interesting if it is pleasure/leisure use rather than CC'ers. Not sure if it is C&RT's (and EA's) interpretation or government instruction to those two bodies that dictates their response. I guess we sit and wait for C&RT to break their silence.

Paul said...

You could also submit a question to the daily government briefing. I've been doing this but not had mine picked yet. The more people submit that question the more likely we'll get a response. Of course ... we may not like the response !!!, but at least we'll know.

https://www.gov.uk/ask

Cheers
Paul

Nev Wells said...

Paul, great idea and I have done so.... doing my own lobbying !

Thanks