Tuesday 2 June 2020

Why is it called Cherry eye bridge

One if not my single favourite bridges on the system I’ve travelled so far is Cherry Eye bridge on the Caldon canal. It helps it is in such a beautiful peaceful setting and a 20 minute walk away from where I live. 

This video is Rachel bringing Percy through the bridge on my retirement cruise to the basin in September 2017 


I was recently in the post office in Ipstones. - the village across the valley I can see from our lane where I noticed a local history book called “The Churnet Valley Footsteps Through Time” by Lindsey Porter

ISBN: 978-1-84306-567-8

A really interesting and informative read. Amongst other fascinating facts and history it tells the story of Ironstone that was discovered in the valley. The closer to the centre of the valley the richer its red colour. The red dust from the ore left rings around the miners eyes - this gave its name to Cherry eye bridge just west of Froghall. 








No comments: