Saturday 10 October 2020

A belter of a mooring and bikes to Scotland

I'm not walking the valley as much as I want to or should do. Sadly Leia is showing signs of age  - she's getting close to 13 and under the vets for joints etc. She is is good shape just wear and tear - see later for an update on her owner !! But is does mean we have to time the longer harder walks 

So we did have a wander on the Caldon the day after leaving the Shroppie  and when we do I have been watching the progress on I think it's called "mill mooring' just up from Consall lock. The owner/renter has put a great deal of effort in to make a beautiful remote mooring. Lots of places to sit and watch the world (canal boats/walkers and steam trains) go by. 



I did notice the second boat arrived... I wonder if it's a legit mooring back there?

Within five days of getting back off the boat I was off to Scotland on my motorbike. It was a socially distanced trip two bubbles four bikes. 

We were based in Moffat and had three 200 mile days exploring east and west around the Galloway forest park one day, up to Ayr another and then over East back in Northumberland and back via St Mary's lock. Stunning biking.

Now a confession of double stupidity that seems to come ever more with my age increasing ! I have two motorbikes and I wanted to try the 750cc Honda NC750x DCT (mouthful but essential for those who read who have bikes) in favour of the Honda ST1300 Pan European. The latter weighing in at 330kg and the NC 239kg so the weight and fuel consumption was on test to be dispensed with ... more on that in another blog. 

Anyhow the NC normally hits around 80mpg and the fuel gauge a little pessimistic.... yes you guessed it I pushed my range to the point I ran out of petrol - first time in all my biking and motoring 'career'. I was 1.7 miles short of the junction of the M74 so stupidly started to push and I got almost to the slip before I too ran out of fuel. Luckily one of my good friends had sourced a litre of fuel from a local who was mowing his lawn. Suitably topped up I got off the motorway and returned the container with a tenner  - the most expensive litre of fuel I've ever brought. But it was a valuable (in more ways than one) experience.

Some old ruins and the Abbey was nice also 


My red NC and Steve's RT  - there is a space in my life for a RT at some point I'm sure. The RT is what most police forces use


Hardy bikers we were  - yes that's frost and I left my heated gloves at home  ! 


Ailsa Craig looking like its floating in the air. - Interesting place read more of it here Click me 

I recently read a great book by a young Scottish student who in the 70's spend a year as a relief lighthouse keeper  - the book was called Stargazing by Peter Hill Click me for a link 


Hot soup at this stop for the oldies at Jedburgh. Jedburgh Abbey in the background. 


Scotts view ...


Click below to read about this reason this view is called Scott's view 



Around 1,000 miles in 5 days with good sensible safe friends on decent motorbikes on stupendous roads. For my record the NC was great, the DCT (Duel Clutch Transmission) was superb as was the 80mpg plus fuel economy. Little less able on the motorway but I kept off that (M6) as much as possible. 

Like Leia I am ever more feeling my age and 200 miles a day 'tightened me up a bit' so an hour or so stretching reminded me I need to get out more  (walking  - and I have a plan for that)  plus it reinforced my thinking about a bike change






No comments: