Wednesday 19 October 2022

Not bad for a 60 year old

I had reason to visit my youngest sons new house in Chinley earlier this week. We had tentatively agreed to go for a walk in the PM.

We set to walking from his house and within 10 minutes we were in stunning countryside. He and his wife have chosen a fantastic place to live. 

We were planning a round walk but decided at the half way point we could make it to Edale and get the train back..

The photos will detail the beauty and isolation my words will not easily describe. It was lovely to have some quality time with Callum and share a passion for the outdoors. I also got to revisit the small part of the Pennine way I have long harboured an ambition to walk - ever since being captivated by John Noakes and Shep walking it filmed for Go with Noakes in 1977. 

I walked Jacobs Ladder as part of my prep for the first three peaks walk I did in 2003 ( 26 hours ) revisited the challenge in 2004 and did it in 23 hours 11 minutes. 

John drinking his own wee ( he told us ) 


Dee reflecting... and scoffing


Rob smiling as he knew he was the fittest ! 


Anyhow twenty years later I was there with Callum and as noted above we had a great walk, yomping the end to get the 5.45pm train back to Chinley.























The Kinder plateau is a beautiful remote isolated place especially on a Tuesday afternoon. It was a privilege to be there. 

Our stats were pleasing making a decent progress up hill and for the walk in general. Just sore knees in the evening. I celebrated the following day (today) with a 130 mile motorcycle ride/errand. 






2 comments:

nb Bonjour said...

Great walk Nev! We camped at the farm in Edale when the children were quite small but old enough for a 5 mile walk. What app are you using? looks interesting
Debby

Nev Wells said...

Hi Debby, thanks for the comment. It is a great place to walk and camp. I use Outdoor Active app which is very user friendly and great for planning as well as recording walks.