Wednesday 29 January 2020

Offered £60,000 for Percy while out winter cruising

Well 2020 is boats bikes and fishing for the retired Nev and so it continues.

Rachel has a week off so we took the opportunity around other work (Rachel) and family commitments (Rachel) to get to Percy for a few days. I see no value in having a great asset in enjoyment and experience terms sitting unused as quite a few boats are for the whole of the winter.

I went as the forward party to get the boat cleaned, provisioned and warmed up with Rachel joining me in the early evening. A relaxing evening on a warm boat was enjoyed.

Today we set off on a mini cruisette (as my neighbour Mandy called it) to moor in the middle of nowhere past Cowley Tunnel (the only tunnel on the whole of the Shroppie apparently). Tomorrow we will wind at High On wharf then stop for the night at Norbury Junction to test the pub again - many years ago we had a cold cold meal in there as we were I recall one of the first customers of the then new tenants  and the heating was not working/playing up. A quite unpleasant experience as I recall, it can only get better hopefully.

On the way out I was hailed by a pair of gongoozelers who stopped to watch and listen to Percy pass by.... the first complimented the boat and the second said sixty thousand for the boat - now !! I was tempted to hit reverse and talk in more detail.... only Percy kept on plodding along, subconsciously piloted by yours truly, not the time despite the very fair valuation ! 

I have a 'condition' not doubt shared by a few of needing to be 'ready and sorted' for the next days cruising, invariably meaning if I am due to wind I'll do it so it's one less thing to do/worry about the next day. Today I was within 20 mins of the winding hole but I deliberately stopped to teach myself I can be easier with my planning .... and I was rewarded with rain  - if i'd gone on I'd have been wet through so there was my happy lesson of today, you can  put of today what you can do tomorrow !!

So a few photos of the cruisette

High Offley church in the distance 


A beautiful day to cruise


This pair followed me for a while ! 


This very large house always impresses just before the Anchor pub


Then into Grub street cutting 


Pearl Barley (lovely name) passed our mooring on the way to wind at Shebdon wharf before heading to Norbury and back to their mooring opposite the Anchor. A lovely looking boat - so low in the water 



There is a stream running above the arch and below the road of this bridge


The telegraph (high arch) bridge was having work done not to it but the water pipe that runs across the outside of it 

Lots of boats both sides as we approach Norbury


Looking back at Cowley tunnel



Sadly this boat was floating last time I passed .... a sad end.






2 comments:

Andy said...

I had a proper steak pie at the Junction a couple of years ago and it was hot and tasty. I would recommend if still on the menu,they did them in two sizes too.

Nev Wells said...

I like a recommendation so I will go with the steak pie if it’s still on the menu and report back... Guinness or red wine..... ??