Sunday 10 May 2020

Murder at Ivy Cottage

Sounds like a detective novel. I've been ever more entertained by the new tenants I blogged about here  Since moving in they have now both had families, the bricks and mortar couple about two weeks in front of the timber framed tenants.

I suspect the house couple have been parents before as they seem to be more active - the others, well a lot more haphazard in the nest building stage from what I observed.

Anyhow a couple of days ago plenty of commotion as I was having my morning tea and observing.... the first nest leaver was out and wanting to go back to where he got his belly filled....



He was persistent, a few times clinging to the hole only to be chased away by the hen, at one point she scragged him to the ground much to Leia's consternation. He eventually got the hint. His brother came the next day, who seemed to not hang about as long.

Then it got dark.... Friday I came out for my morning tea and saw what was obviously an underdeveloped chick on the garage roof, under the nest.


Nowhere for it to hide, so I consulted the RSPB website and they suggested as a last resort put it back in the nest, which I did and the hen carried on bringing her food for it. (when I put it back there was no other chicks left.)

Today, Saturday I was out once again with my morning cuppa when I observed different behaviour. I first thought it was one of the fledglings back trying to get into the nest but the hen bird seemed to defer to the male. Plus the male was actually going into the nest. Then all of a sudden 
the poor chick was dragged out of the nest back onto the garage roof by the cock sparrow.

I recovered the poor chick and it was evident the cock sparrow had been pecking it on its head and back  - obviously wanting to start the mating all again  - I read they can have two or three broods each season and they are in the main monogamous. This poor little chick was no doubt the runt of the brood, not getting the food of its brothers so not developing at their speed. I put it into a hedge in a plant pot hoping this time its mother would find it but she had no interest - seemingly job done.

Sadly a hour later it had died. Sparrow infanticide - something that happens I read, very harsh but that is nature. They eject their weaklings, certainly a lesson in survival of the fittest.

Here are the bad parents .... Hen at the bottom and the murdering cock at the top.


It did not take too long before he was cleaning the nest out... 




Let's hope the wooden house residents are a little more caring !







No comments: