Wednesday 21 February 2018

A hand in the loo....

We have had four boats if you count the share boat. Two with pump outs and two with cassettes. Our current boat has a cassette and that was part of the buying criteria. Pump out are expensive, can be smelly and limiting in time and cruising, IMHO of course.

However today was one of the few times I'd have preferred a pump out. Two of my three cassettes were out of action  - for the same thing, both had the 'holding' tray off its runner by too heavy handed use of the loo brush.

There is only one fix and that involves getting your hands inside and stripping the mechanism to get it all lined up again. I do carry rubber disposable gloves for working on the engine so they were very much used.  Rest assured both cassettes had a very good clean out before the open loo surgery took place.


The problem is my third cassette does not have the level indicator on it so it really is the emergency cassette. I did the fix and stowed them away hopefully for  another few years trouble (and cash free) use. 

5 comments:

Jennie said...

We agree with you Nev about the reasons for not having a pump out, but went for a composting toilet as we think they are less trouble and much pleasanter than a cassette. I hope yours remain trouble free for the foreseeable future. Jennie nb Tentatrice.

Quaysider said...

we've got one of each - I have to admit, we tend to USE the pumpout rather than the cassette one - that said, when we have guests on board the thetford is very handy.

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

We spent £85 last year on pumpouts, that was in 6 months, but better than a bad back empting the PP

Mark and Corinne said...

A small price to pay Nev, just think of the money your saving.

Nev Wells said...

Thanks all for the replies. As we do not live aboard I think a composting loo while desirable would not be the best choice. I see the cassette lifting as a free gym membership, plus despite the smell (and its not too bad) I smile every time I count the pounds when emptying the cassette !! To be really honest it is the simplicity I like - totally in my control having been caught out a couple of times with a full tank and no nearby PO - or getting to one and it being shut due to a blockage.