Friday 4 October 2024

Bottom of the Bosley flight to just outside Bollington

A really lovely days cruising. We were up 7.15 and the engine lubed and started at 8.30 and off at 9. For this early (for me) start we were rewarded with a beautiful sunrise over Bosley cloud. Click the pictures for full screen versions  - I've not the words ...





We got to the bottom lock within 20 minutes and I suspect a boat had gone up but surprisingly there were quickly two behind us... one off the aqueduct mooring (well worth a stop) and another who came up behind us as we set off. 

The pound between lock 12 and 11 was very low but I was able to empty a lock of water into it for Rachel to make the turn.


Same pound on Waterlily 16 years ago - your time like ours will fly seize the day ! 


Then we were turning each lock until lock 6 where we met a hire boater family and again at 3 another hire boat both heading slowly back to Sherbourne Wharf. At the top we met a couple of volunteers who brought Percy up slowly and gave me time to empty the cassettes in the services. We then stopped at the water point for lunch for an hour  - the two following boats came past and we've not seen them since.  



We were extra careful watching the boat with all the snag hazards for the chines 

There is extra hardware for the lock operation or rather for the horses to ease the boats out of the locks - see below 



The gates are doubles both ends which makes more walking to close the top gates as there is no easy way to cross safely 



Beautiful Wife boat and scenery



Click the image to read the text


Not sure what these were for ?


Watering up with associated wasp next  - with a little sign 



The Fools Nook swing bridge  - had my 46th birthday meal in the pub called the Fools Nook there thanks Ross I think of you often.

The electrically operated swing bridge 



New retirement properties in Macclesfield 400k for a 2 bed 


The Mill where Hovis flour was milled back in the day now flats  - or rather apartments 


After 6 hours we tied up just before Bollington itself. I was met by a King Fisher and a Heron so it must have been the right choice. The Heron showed me there were fish that I later had a go for... I didn't eat what I caught and used a rod and line not my teeth.

If we can we may visit the cafe boat tomorrow - Youtube ! Otherwise all being well its up to the junction 3 hours then right for 2 hours to Buxworth basin. 

No comments: