Friday 11 September 2020

First there were bloggers now Vloggers

When I started my canal journey (did I say 23 years ago ?) it triggered an interest that was fed by a few decent bloggers at the time. So it was natural when I got my first boat I started my blogs (Comet Waterlily and Percy) Skip forward 23 years and its Youtube Vloggers  that get the interest. There is still a hard core of bloggers who I guess like me do it more for the record for themselves than popular interest. 

Today I met, albeit briefly one of the most genuine of pairs of Youtube bloggers - Rich one part of Fran and Rich  from 'Floating our Boat' The briefest of chats and again Percy got a compliment  - praise indeed. 



A brief stop at Ellesmere to top up water and empty the cassette again ! 

Then just after Ellesmere I spotted Ables Ark - the original Youtuber Dan Brows second boat after Tilly his little springer. I have to say it looked a bit sad ! 

Todays cruise was uneventful apart from the number of boats on the move. This is a great canal but the number of boats (at the moment) occupying the water is a put off. Also the flow is a pain going towards Llangollen as they use the canal to move water from the river Dee to the reservoir at Hurleston. It moves at about half a mile an hour so a normal cruising speed of 3mph is reduced to 2.5 and much less through bridge holes and past moored boat. Conversely on the return trip it'll be a roller coaster of 3.5mph - about 40% faster - if fast is a currency on the canals.

We moored up just past Frankton Junction, where we winded on our first trip so from now on its all new canals for us. Plus the last couple of days should be the most memorable before we start the trip back . 

We had a walk down the Montgomery canal, quite beautiful and we have a tentative plan to detour down there for a day subject to further planning !     

2 comments:

Adam said...

You should go down the Monty — it’s lovely, and the Navigation was a great pub last time we went down there.

Nev Wells said...

We may well do so, since Frankton Junction it is very busy at the top end of the Llangollen.