Saturday 22 September 2018

What keeps me away from the boat - an energy insight

Looking at my counter on the right there... it tells me I've been retired for a year now. I can honestly say I've not regretted a minute of it. I miss some colleagues and some of the banter but I think I am a remote soul at heart and like my own company. I really like being my own time manager and not having anyone tell me what I should be doing.

Just for my memories when I am no longer able to enjoy a mobile lifestyle - it comes to us all so get out as soon as you can !!......

....I was up in Scotland early September visiting my friend John who has helped me greatly in moving the boat and drinking beer (a lot) while doing so. He has a fantastic location overlooking Loch Ryan. He also has a very interesting insight into future energy use. Tesla power walls, wind turbines and photo voltaic's. In essence he describes the living off grid I did for two years !!

It is an interesting  subject and one that is much needed for the country and the environment. How much more sensible to invest the money from HS2 into powering the country for the future with environmentally sustainable sources.

Specifically for us at the cottage and the boat - well the boat is a simple but efficient solution. It has one solar panel that keep the batteries topped up while away (and conditioned) and does help some during the brighter months when on board. It can keep us on board without the engine running for 2-3 days with the fridge on. Obviously this depends on the amount of sun!

The batteries are sealed lead acid type - a couple of years old now and three 110amp/h with a starter. We could drop in a couple of Lithium Ion but they are expensive and not really needed for our type of boat ownership. When the time comes we may drop to 2 AGM 135a/h which will mean we can dispense with the battery box for the starter and the engine room will be a little less cluttered. Other than that is is about right for how we use it.

The cottage will at some point get solar on the workshop roof. I am sure also maybe in 2-3 years it'll have a battery wall to both help us and help the national grid. We also plan for an electric car, but not at the moment. My friend has a Leaf, but with only 80 mile range its good but not right for us. At some point we will drop back to one car  (and a few motorbikes !) and at this time we hope 300 mile range will be the norm  - it is for the Tesla 3 but they are on a long back order and cost £30,000 ish.

Anyhow it was a good visit to Scotland and I hope I'll be back and not leave it so long again.

Not a bad view from your back door is it?


 Portpatrick is a beautiful little town  - one we considered buying a house in 








My friend Mandy off NB Don't Panic has a blog called 'My view from the loo' this was my view from  the loo !!


Another view from that back door - beautiful.


The trip back was via the New Galloway forest  - beats a good section of the A75. The Pan European was very much at home here  - and yes the rain did come but the bike is very capable and keeps the rider reasonably dry. 






That was Scotland. We were on the boat in between to sort out the mooring and clean part of the boat - see my other post here

Then we had a brief but enjoyable couple of days in Wales... We stayed at the Sychnant Pass Country house  - very fine place as a base. Part of the reason was to visit the place my father in law's ashes were spread. A beautiful location overlooking Conway.

This was the view from our terrace 


 The stone where we spread Charles' ashes









Wales was also a place we considered to live before we stayed local in the Churnet valley. Maybe another move down the line - I'd prefer Scotland but it's such a distance for family and canals.



No comments: