Wednesday 2 February 2022

Some simple financial advice

Owning a boat is expensive, if you have one you know that, if you've owned one you know that and if you are thinking of getting one you have no idea ! 

To own a boat you need copious amounts of  ££££'s and you can either earn it or save for it, or both.
So the best financial advice is don't be complacent. Complacency is the friend of the corporations and marketeers. 

There is a real push towards drip drip spending, the baddy fella in Superman had it sorted when he creamed off the bits of penny's to make his fortune, no one noticed until he was very rich. And there's the issue, you'll not notice until you are getting poorer... Netflix, dishwasher insurance, Microsoft 365, Apple Icloud, Britbox, Amazon Prime, TV license, Anti virus .....all SUBSCRIPTIONS that drip out of your bank in diddy amounts making millions for the corporations and making all us gullible marketing victims that much poorer and ever more the slave to work. 

Being ill has some benefits, it puts you on your arse in the house with time to think and time to do those 'put off' jobs and so it was I started to trawl my bank statements looking for the hands in my bank account tickling little dribbles of money out - or worse still those accounts like phone and domain suppliers relying on my distractions to not check on renewal dates or changes to T&C's. My recent man flu enforced house arrest saved me so far just over £400 a year .... the icing on the cake bring a Britbox subscription we signed up for last January during one of the 'lock downs'. As part of my economy drive I checked but the annual subscription had gone out 2 days before - arse. However happy days as part of another drive to be more efficient I have rationalised bank accounts and credit cards ( we pay them off each month so get the buyers protection but no interest - best use of credit cards) and the BritBox subscription was on a cancelled credit card so they are asking me for new card details to continue my subscription .... ha ha ha nope ! 

So make time to be on top of your finances especially those little  (that add up) subscriptions. Don't let the corporations win, make them work for their or your money ! 

3 comments:

Davidss said...

Couldn't agree more.
One simple test, do people own their mobile phones, or have they been dragged into the subscription scheme with the lure of having a new phone every couple of years?
The way to tell is to look in the 'spare phone drawer', if such a space exists, or if they are always handing the previous version to a relative, the cost implication is made obvious.
Yes, I've just bought a new one, it replaces the one bought in 2015.

Regards.

Sarah on Chertsey said...

I'm still using the one I got in 2015 :-)

Nev Wells said...

I can't remember ever buying a mobile phone. As I was on call 24/7 for my job they provided me the best kit ! When I left they let me keep it and then my son upgraded so i got his 'old' phone. Says it all that his 'old' phone had been mo companion for the last couple of years and served me very well !

Sounds like you both know the 'value' of a phone.

In my son's defense he says he uses his phone for just about every aspect of his digital life - so he is relaxed in 'treating himself' and I'm not arguing receiving the hand me downs !