Tuesday 16 October 2018

Do you carry spare parts ?

In the past we have broken down twice while out cruising. Both times on Waterlily. We did get a small diesel leak from one of the injector pipes on Percy when we came back from the Caldon, but that was not bad enough to stop us. Link here ....


The first breakdown on Waterlily was a coolant leak from a worn through pipe where it had been rubbing over quite a few years I guess on the engine it was in Stone in August 2008  and link here

The last time we broke down was on the Staffs and Worcester at Dimmingsdale locks ... add link here.  This and the last one were both RCR call outs and we were lucky to get big Phil from Oxley Marine who worked so hard trying to resolve an electrical issue .... it turned out to be a shorting wire under the engine that had damaged the alternator. He worked so hard on a really hot day to get to the bottom of the problem. It’s good to know Oxley marine are just at the bottom of the Shroppie if we ever need them....

Anyhow the reason for the  post, on the last breakdown Phil also noticed the alternator belt was worn... not good reflection on my boat maintenance at that time. Despite bringing many belts nothing fitted so it started me on a journey to Wolverhampton’s Halfords and other motor  factors to find the right belt and despite a few miles of Bromptoning nothing could be found. In the end off the boat I ordered a spare and fitted it.

Spring forward to my latest injector pump issue...l see here Add link..... I took the belt guard off and it reminded me I had yet to get any spare belts for the Lister on Percy. I photographed the belt references ( add in photos here) and have today found a decent site that gives gates belt alternatives for the numbers. Using good old Google I found an online motor factors and have ordered spare for both belts. So not quite belt and braces unless you count the belts on the boat already as braces then and am braces and belts ready !

I’m still not sure if I would benefit from a RCR membership having dealt with the last couple breakdowns myself..... plus over the last several years of no membership I have saved close to a thousand pounds that would certainly cover the few parts I have brought to get me going and keep me going ..... I’ll have a think about the RCR membership, but happy to receive your thoughts and observations.

1 comment:

Dave Ward said...

I've made several purchases from "Simply Bearings" and have been impressed with their service, and that you can ring them for assistance and ordering. So many suppliers these days try and push you into doing everything online.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/