Sunday 20 October 2019

Feeling guilty for wanting solitude

I am quite often admonished for seeking out solitude. I am happy to take such as I have in the past thought myself a 'miserable' person ! However as  grow older and more comfortable in this skin I feel more at ease with my desire to be alone, often with nature and never more so that since moving to our Staffordshire cottage in the moorlands.

When I say I, I mean we -  have two lovely places to spend time at the boat and the cottage both provide peace and quiet and lovely places to walk that are so lightly inhabited that if I'm lucky I can walk for a couple of hours and not meet anyone. I'm not antisocial, I can be very sociable but I do crave my own bit of quiet. I think that is why I struggled in the dry dock, like a caged bird if you like (only an ugly bird to be fair.)

So in the spirit of seeking solitude I recently really enjoyed a wet  and therefore quite solitudinal (not even a word I am sure) walk around one of the local reservoirs to me.

Titteswoth Resevoir 4th October 2019


Easy spot the reservoir is quite full  












Looking back from the start to the other end - the dam wall end 


3 comments:

Carol said...

Mmmmm, I can almost hear the quiet and the stillness.

Sarah said...

Don't feel guilty! Solitude is vital for some of us to recharge and regather our energy. We can't all be extroverts. Plus, I love the idea that 'the cure for loneliness is solitude'.

Nev Wells said...

Unknown, a good comment, it was quite atmospheric.

Sarah, I guess you can be the loneliest person in a room full of people and the happiest person in the most isolated of situations.