Friday 28 February 2020

My newest challenge

Last time we cruised the boat the starter let me down. It is five years old and was for a bit of time a leisure battery - don't ask !

I have the benefit of a Smartbank system that will (with the press of a button) join the leisure batteries to the starter via a vey chunky fit for purpose relay. This spins the old donk over very ably but not something I want to keep exposing my AGM house batteries to.

So I received my new starter yesterday and took it to the boat. I always intended making good the electrics on Percy - they are not unsafe, in fact I have overcabled some runs but the only downside is  the extra cost of the copper.

I have limited space to make a Aqualine type job of it  - some of the best electrics I have seen (sad) so I have to think laterally or vertically in my case. I intend fixing a sheet of ply above the battery bank and adding a + busbar to go along with the - busbar I already have that services the shunt for the Victron battery monitor. Some of the Smartgauge cables need to go direct to the battery but much of the rest can go to the + busbar some with the negative stuff. The challenge is to ensure there is minimum overrunning of cables  - so I drew up this !!


Sure does look like something my grandson might have drawn at preschool ! But it does give ME an idea of how to mount what I need to mount to make the whole set up a lot tidier.

When its done I'll put a painted cover over it to match the step cover that covers the batteries. 

I just need a good couple of warmish days to set to working in the engine room and maybe staying onboard depending on how the install goes ! 

I need to get it done in time for the mid March cruise ....... I hope I'm not tempting fate ! 



3 comments:

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

I don't know Nev; your drawing looked more like the London Underground map to me!! Good luck on this project. Keep us posted, with pictures please.

Love Jaq xxx

Anonymous said...

Nev are sure that isnt a Banksy ??

Norwyn

Nev Wells said...

Thank you both for you humorous comments. Norwyn,I wish it were a Banksy - it would pay for someone much more able to undertake my electrics ! Jaq, it will no doubt make as much sense at the underground map to me when I next consult it ! Pictures will follow (hopefully)