Wednesday 6 May 2020

Naughty but I might just have to go to the boat.....

I hope on Sunday the government give us some focus on the start of the end (!) of lockdown. We have been as good as we can be, I shop once a week and the bikes have stayed put under cover despite this beautiful weather. I did go to B&Q yesterday, they are now open so I have to assume what they sell falls into the essentials. Point of order I hear you say but my reason is my own mental health, seriously I am a do'er and just cannot sit still and have to have one or two project on the go. Maybe a reason why I opted not to just have the boat as a residence and brought the cottage as our main residence.

We did seriously consider just having the boat for a few years. but our stuff and my need to be doing things cut that idea short. I'm not decrying anyone who does live aboard, different strokes for different folks as they say.

So why am I possibly thinking of technically breaking the 'rules' and visiting my boat. Power, ironically I need some of the boats power. Yes we are connected by a fat (overhead) wire... a sure sign we are rural dwellers, no gas and our power comes across fields to a pole then stars out to the six local properties. We got a letter yesterday from the power company telling us next Thursday we would be without power for the day as they have works to do in the area. I know from talking to the engineer who came and did his survey that the overhead power run to one of the cottages is too low (a highways thing - even though the 'highway' it goes over is not, its part of a bulge in the lane where the access it to one of the cottages) Anyway they cannot or do not want to put in a taller pole so are re routing her supply via another pole.

They arrived yesterday to do some advance tree pruning to clear just one large branch that was close to one of the overhead wires.... they left the wood in the undergrowth that I nipped out and squirrelled away to cut into rounds for two nights heating next year... I'm a poor pensioner you know !

So the power I need is the generator from the boat to enable Rachel to carry on working from home. I think I can lash up enough runs (with the help of the long extension reel that is also at the boat) to power the laptop and home PC and monitor as well as the broadband router and maybe even the fridge and freezer if I'm imaginative enough.



Let's hope we get some relaxation on Sunday but somehow I doubt it !




No comments: