Thursday 27 April 2023

Boating is a metaphor for life

 ... Ok so it's day three of the relocation cruise but this thought played around my head most of the day. 

Anyone who's owned or hired a canal boat will be aware of the slow pace of the boat and the slow change of scenery. When you consider your days travels and start off it all seems rather slow but nice all the same. From the start it feels like it's going to be a long day but as the day progresses before you realise it you have made you destination, you have a nice reflection on the day and you (I) reflect on how you have arrived.... Well to me that's how life is... be it a day, a week, a month, a year, or a lifetime. Looking forward it seems such a long way away, looking back it all seems to short !!

Make memories, don't hoard money, make it work for you, make it make you happy. Arrive at the end of that day week month, year, life etc happy and contented, anything else is a waste of the time gifted to you.

Ok, I've got that off my chest. Another slowish start and as I put the tiller arm on the boat behind waited for a training boat that seems to live at Gailey to pass, then he went then I untied and set off. 

As we approached the chemical factory the training boat pulled over just before the no mooring sign (well done all who were being trained - as one of them took Percy's index number I presumed they were C&RT)  so we passed and the other boat motored off as they seem to !

Then nice cruising with the sun trying its best to beat the northerly wind. Rachel brought tea and we took that then I stepped off and walked for a couple of miles and was able to get this video....


As we went under the M54 ( for the first time) a push me pull me tug came round the bend and the rear hopper swun right across the canal .... he got it corrected only just in time as I'd slowed. I was so pleased I'd not met him in the narrows a mile of so ahead. 





Then the two fails of the day .... Just before the turn onto the Shroppie Rachel came up and said she's flooded the kitchen -  well let the filter water tap overflow a jug she was filling for the kettle. I said I'd do the stop lock and as I stepped off onto the stone bank it was algiefied and I slid and went over  - no harm done a few more aches and pains to ignore !

The stop lock needs some attention - it was like it when  came this way nearly 20 months ago the 'top gate' does not fully open and scrapes the side of the boat as you exit... goodness knows how the really wide working boats get by.... I'll report it again to C&RT.

Then a lovely cruise up the Shroppie to just before Bridge 9 - we call it Mandy's mooring as we have a good friend who loves to moor here.

I had a couple of hours fishing  - first of the year and caught well just on white bread - Bream, chub Roach and even a Perch on a maggot shaped piece of bread. 

Not sure of where we will target tomorrow - we have three days to get to our destination but that also has to include me cycling back to Great Haywood to get the car ! 




1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hi Nev,
We came past Percy yesterday, sorry not to have seen you both. The top gate at Autherley scrapped us all the way down as we came into the lock.
I'll report it too!
Lisa
NB WaL