Tuesday 13 September 2016

What am I .....?


I have more and more specific tools on my boat now. 

It is a hydraulic crimper. As you will have seen from one of my other posts I want to get my battery bank install tidier and more efficient for winter. Being off grid means you really need to have an efficient and reliable power install. Mine is tidy but not efficient so it will be adjusted to give all the three leisure batteries the best connections and the best layout to ensure no extra resistance is added that depletes the charge and overworks certain batteries. 

Just after I got Percy I swapped out the old split charge diode system and put in a Smartbank system. I spend a few quid on getting cables made up and they were best guesses for length. This tool will allow me to make up my own cables to the minimum length using the existing cables plus some crimps I have ordered from ebay.

I am going to install the starter batter in its own battery box allowing me to have all three leisure batteries in a line in one place to aid the connectivity. 

I'll report back with photos when done !



2 comments:

Quaysider said...

It'll be interesting to see how your connections turn out... I bugger around with "welding cable" for my fairground electrics and I still end up taping the ends to keep it looking tidy. That bit of kit looks just the ticket. A video for you-tube might be handy if you can be bothered...

Nev Wells said...

There is one already up that helped me make my choice.... see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXMJIgpeyE