Wednesday 14 November 2018

Advice needed - Batteries

It seems that it is the time for more wallet emptying as the batteries on Percy are Fubarr’d. Looking back on my blog they went in on November 2014 so literally 4 years to the day. They are consumables so I guess I should not be surprised they are ready to leave my boat. Question is what to replace them with.

I have 3 x 110 sealed wet type. I am drawn to AGM as they have a supposedly better discharge level tolerance and better vibration tolerance....they are more expensive no doubt for these reasons.

So advice needed from the great hive mind .....replace with three 110 agm or go for two say 150 a/h agm ?

I have long pondered the charge discharge benefits drawbacks of two batteries v’s three batteries. Three is longer to charge but longer to discharge and two shorter to charge and discharge.... is it that simple or better just to look at what a/h you are charging.... say 330 for three 110’s or 300 for two 150’s. I think less is more as there should be less risk one poor performing battery puts loads on the others in charging and discharging..... so two 150’s better ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated around AGM batteries and battery numbers ....?

7 comments:

Steve Parkin said...

I too have a traditional engine (Ruston) and via an Adverc system use 3 x 110 Amp hour batteries. I have never bothered with AGM because I think the advantages of the technology don't outweigh the cost. However, at the last battery swop in March 2015 I went for sealed batteries because topping up standard lead-acid cells is a pain and they can get forgotten and dry.

Nev Wells said...

Hi Steve, good to get that perspective. I did exactly as you have done a few years ago, replaced the older non sealed batteries with the sealed type even though topping up is quite easy based on the access I had. Four years is about what I'd expect from standard batteries. I have a newer MTTP solar charger that hopefully will be more efficient at keeping the batteries charged up. I'll look at costs and replacement cycles and more than likely just do a straight swap out - maybe waiting on a Freaky Friday or a decent deal at one of the many battery websites.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your info.

Nev

Andrew said...

Two alternatives are:
1: the new lead carbon battery technology (see DBS Leoch, mentioned in WW November issue, DBSLeoch.co.uk)
2: The new Vetus multipurpose batteries (VEDC110TC) which we are covering in the next WW (Jan issue)

No1 is more expensive, but claims advantages halfway to li-ion, while No2 is more like agm price but has a wider range of uses.


Andrew.

Nev Wells said...

Hi Andrew, good to hear from you and thank you for the advice, I’ll look into the different technologies and maybe buy a couple of issues. Hope you are well and still boating on GB

Mervyn said...

Nev,

Take a look at Advance Battery Supplies, there 110aH leisure batteries are less than Midland's with free next day delivery.

Mervyn Barrow
NB Summer King

Andrew said...

Nev, I can tell you more, by email, but I've lost your email address.
(Don't want to do it publicly)
I'm at albion@dumsday.com

Nev Wells said...

Andrew, I've emailed you ....

Mervyn, thank you for the link, I'll certainly explore that dealer