Friday 16 November 2018

The shortest mooring we have had - but not all bad news

Ok, so I'm a little less raw after the boat break in. The night following the break in when I had to leave the boat was not the best. You imagine all sorts of ne'er do well's circling the boat trying to get back in. Luckily we were due a few days on the boat as Rachel had some leave booked so were able to return on the Tuesday to find Percy sitting waiting for us - still secure.

On closer inspection - I did not check - what a fool, the entry was made via the side hatch near the kitchen after he tried the engine bay based on a chip on the door there. So that is now fully secure again - or even more secure. We gave the boat a good clean and changed the bedding and that immediately felt better.

I cannot fault Staffordshire police  - they have been in contact a couple of times and turned up today and took away the screwdriver he/she left. They also took away the pot holding the money we presume he/she tipped to take what was in it. When we hear of indifference and lack of action I can report Staffordshire police acted as quickly as I would have wanted - top marks.

So we are leaving this mooring today. Been here less than a few weeks. The good news is we are staying on the mooring(s) just moving further up, away from the bridge (not first/last boat anymore and close to where the live-a-boards are.) I have to thank my good friend Mandy from NB Don't Panic who was aware of a free mooring that had recently been vacated. She even did the communication with the mooring owner to confirm the mooring was available - thank you Mandy.

It is a beautiful canal and the moorings have a lot going for them, the icing on the cake is the new mooring has a water tap right on the mooring - so there is some silver lining to this dark cloud.

In most life events however small there are learnings. I have to try and find whatever positives there are in the break in. I hope whoever took the cash and food has benefited in a positive way from it. We have such a privileged life, we have worked for it of course bur still had a very clear run so far.

So we are staying, Percy is staying and we will look forward to what we saw when we first planned this move, new locations, new adventures (of the positive kind and now a whole set of new batteries !!)

5 comments:

Jennie said...

Good to hear that you are feeling more positive and are not departing for pastures new. Jennie nb Tentatrice

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

Hi Nev,

I am just having a day of boat blog catch up and I was terribly grieved to read Percy had been broken into. It is a horrible feeling of violation and I absolutely understand your initial feelings about it.I am really pleased however to read now that you've found a better mooring, and tightened up your security and that you, Rachel, and Percy will be around our patch still. There simply is not community on land that I know of, like the boater's community on the cut and you and Rachel are valued members of it.

Love Jaq xxx

Nev Wells said...

Hi Jennie, thanks for the nice comment. Yes much more positive, it did knock us for a few days but in the great scheme of things we should not let it change our lives.

Jaq, that’s a lovely comment thank you. Best way to deal with such issues is to seek out the positive and we have benefitted by the move(s) plus I now have a marine engineer who is going to help on the engine .... all positives.

Mandy Wright said...

My pleasure Nev and really happy you are staying. Passed Percy this morning and all looks well.

Nev Wells said...

Hi Mandy, I have a couple fo bits for you. I’ll drop them off tomorrow as I’ll be about for a couple fo days exploring the walks (without getting lost I hope )