Tuesday 13 November 2018

My boat has been broken into

I visited yesterday after overnighting the day before. I was at the boat to sort out a few problems, another blog post about that. I went to the kitchen from entering the stern and moved my bin and re set the carpet that were not in the right place.... I thought I had left it like that as one of the last jobs I did was emptying the bin. Then I noticed a full bottle of wine on the top... that I knew I had not left out. I actually said out loud to myself... I did not leave  that there . Then I got that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I reached for the pound coin pot we keep on the shelf and yes it was empty.

I immediately went to the front doors and they had been forced as a method of entry. Only then when returning to the kitchen did I see the bent screwdriver left on the top

Crime reported to the police and to the mooring owner. To say I am gutted is an understatement. It looks like a rough sleeper has broken in. What is more alarming is another boat two up from me was also broken into a few weeks ago, nothing taken but the boat had been slept on. As I type this I have lost faith in these moorings. It is a very respectable part of the country quite rural but obviously not crime free. I’m off to the boat again today to add more security to the boat front doors if I can and maybe add some lighting. The farmer is also I hope looking to improve security.

No one is immune to this, it’s  not rife but always a risk. I never thought it would happen especially on an offside mooring there you go.

I am considering a marina now... and actually getting rid of the boat. It’s a massive cost and we are not using it as we shoud. We could get a couple of canal breaks with no responsibility for just the money we pay out in license fees and insurance and moorings. Maybe that is a knee jerk reaction but thats how I feel right now.

I have reflected I am looking at all options.

Just a bit fed up and annoyed at all the grief that has accompanied the move to this beautiful but now tainted mooring.

8 comments:

Jennie said...

Nev I am really sorry to hear your news. A break in is always distressing even if no substantial damage was done and not a lot taken - it is just not nice to know that someone else has been in your boat/house. I hope it does not put you off boating - go back a couple of posts (boat move) and remind yourself about the good bits and some of the wonderful comments you received then. Take care. Jennie nb Tentatrice

Steve Freear said...

Sorry to hear of you break in. We are further up the Shroppie at Overwater Marina and I can highly recommend it. Excellent facilities, very quiet and only a one mile walk on the towpath to Audlem.

Steve Parkin said...

Nev,

I am sorry to hear of your break-in. Not a nice feeling to know that someone has invaded your private space. Like Jennie, I also hope that it doesn't put you off boating. When we first started boating in the 90s break-ins were more common around Northamptonshire than today. There was also the famous case of Mr Finch who spent regular periods at Her Majesty's Pleasure for breaking-into boats. Let's hope this is an isolated incident. Remember all the friendly people you have met at locks.

Best wishes, Steve NB Albert

Carol said...

Sorry to hear this Nev, here's hoping that upon reflection you will make the best decision for you and yours.

KevinTOO said...

What a horrible thing to happen to you Nev. Don't let it put you off boating though, there's bad'uns in all walks of our society, fortunately though they are more good'uns.

Nev Wells said...

Hi Jennie, Thank you for the positive comments. I was a bit raw when made the post, plus I was away from the boat so I felt very concerned as i guess the natural reaction is to expect another break in. I'll do an update post on what has happened since - all quite positive so i am once again looking at a pint half full !

Hi Steve F, Thanks for the recommendation. I have heard a lot of positive things about Overwater and will give it a viewing if/when the time comes for a marina. For now we have another option that we will be exercising later today - blog to follow

Hi Steve P, thanks for the positive comments. I suspect as does the farmer who owns these moorings it is a rough sleeper. Problem is not everyone reports the crime.i do not think the boater who's boat was broken into further up the moorings a few weeks ago did - the police were not aware - this means the crime has no pattern so is harder to understand and protect against by warning other boaters . I actually feel for the person who took the food and cash, they have a lot less than we do, just wish they'd tapped me up for a few quid which i would have given. There are some great people on my moorings who along with those we meet on our travels are a great balance to this unfortunate incident.

Hi Carol, I have reflected and calmed down a bit. I posted at the wrong time but did want to get the message out - maybe I should have help my personal thoughts a bit longer until the sadness subsided.

Hi Kevin, Thanks for the positive comment - I agree we need to focus on the good not the bad.... as you say there are so many more good un's out there and this person I have to feel has hit on hard times - I hope the cash and food have helped.

Andy said...

Sorry to read this post Nev, this can happen no matter where you are... get out on the bike for some stress relief.

Nev Wells said...

Hi Andy, that’s true, I’m a bit more relaxed about it all now. At the time I was angry and sad but it passes. The bike is in bits in the shed, just replaced the fuel sender in the top tank ( st1300) and have all the bits for a full service, plus it needs some new rubber .... eek ££££££, but it’ll be rolling soon.