Wednesday 13 February 2019

A two canal sort of day

Monday, Tuesday and today saw me on Percy. There is a spring feel in the air, but  I doubt it'll last as March always seems to come to teach us a lesson  



The job list was to paint the block ready to match the head that is due tomorrow and to get the Victron battery monitor fully installed. 

The former was easy.... the latter, well I did my research and planning and had it all ready, then at the last minute had some sort of 'brain dither' that saw me leaving it semi-working to return today to install as I originally planned and it was working as it should.


The shunt is covered by the fairy light box ! To make the job a bit easier I added the bus bar for the other connections (and as previously noted to remove the need to change the fittings from 8mm to 10mm) It needs a decent tidy up, still got some options as and when I replace the flatteries !


I needed to add some height to the cover and step  - it'll get painted when the weather is warmer. I may make another cover but that is part of the plans for the battery bank.


Cousins side by side, one to tell me when the batteries need charging and the other to tell me when they have enough charge.



I rewarded myself with a lunch at Norbury Junction (sadly no photos  - must do better) Then it was a 50 minute trip across North Staffordshire back to the cottage and a walk into my valley. 

I was intending it to be a round walk, down by the falconry centre under the railway,  over the river and then back along the canal. Just as I reached Consall lock I heard the lovely sound of the steam train heading down the valley. 


So I confused Leai and turned 180 degrees and retraced my steps, catching the Loco on its return under power. Certainly an impressive sight.


  On my return up the valley side I stopped at the top to drink in the views and atmosphere of the  fading light of a warm (ish) February day. The Peacocks belong to the nearby Falconry centre. 


During the autumn and winter months the views into the valley present themselves. It does take a decent camera to see where I walked to and back....

Consall lock is down there top middle of the picture. Click on the pictures and you'll hopefully be able to see the canal !


It was poor light but the super zoom on my camera takes me back to my walks terminus.


Back to the boat first thing to meet Richard the engineer who will hopefully get the donk working again so I can see how bad the batteries really are ! 
 

3 comments:

Mrs. Jaqueline Biggs said...

Wonderful walk Nev. Les' beautiful brown eyes would have lit with joy to see that steam train. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
Love Jaq xxx

Nev Wells said...

Hi Jaq, I often think of you both, especially the photo of Valerie at the Black Lion with the steam loco in front of it. Precious memories. I hope you are making the transition to the other home ok...

Take care x

Carol said...

Great video Nev!