Thursday 28 February 2019

The Victron BMV-712 and batteries go in

Ok, there are cheaper but when I retired I made myself a promise if I'm going to do something I'll try and do it with as little compromise as possible.

These things are supposed to be easy to install, and I guess they are but I added the complication of a complete swap out of my batteries and at the same time a reconfiguration of my battery positions and therefore wiring.

I may have mentioned I added a battery box some while ago so I could have three 110 a/h flooded leisures and one starter. It worked but I never liked having the engine room cluttered up with the extra yellow topped battery box. So when the batteries became flatteries after 4 years and 2 months (they went in in November 2014 - no doubt to coincide with my first winter living afloat) I decided to reorganise.

To get them all back in the battery box - picture empty below...


... I needed to up the A/H of the two leisures I was going to put back in. Much research and reading around pointed me to AGM batteries (Absorbed Glass Matt) A compromise on deep cycle traction batteries which need a higher charge - 14.7 to 14.8 volts and more concerningly need to be cycled every now and again to 'gas' to force off the deposits that kill batteries (all my own words) This gas is hydrogen that is explosive and needs venting. In my small install it may not have been an issue but I did not like the idea and they also need topping up with water - and I'm lazy !

So the AGM's were focussed on as they are fit and forget and will take a deeper discharge (not advisable) and also take a charge more readily so should top up quicker. The largest that would fit physically were Leoch Adventurer range, they call them 160's but really they are 147'c at C20. So x2 gives me 294, not quite 330 but I'd take that.

Got them from Alpha batteries for £220 each including the screw in battery terminals that I did not subsequently need, this also included next day delivery. (I note looking at the link they have gone up a fiver each since I ordered. ) TNT bloke delivered them and my they are heavy 40kg each (I weighed in my old ones for scrap and three were 69 kg so 23kg each) I was quite pleased out new mooring gets the car directly next to the boat, I could not imagine wheeling these to my boat and crossing the lock gate with them.

When I fitted them it was my lucky day, the measurements were always tight but they fit with what I understand to be called an interference fit.



Much labeling of the old cables and a bit of making up new cables saw me get it all done with a bit of help from Onboardenergy  - link here  I sent them ( and the 12v facebook boating group) my schematic for my batteries and they advised on a small change and all was ok.


All sorted  - it was interesting to see what amps the batteries were taking when I started the engine to check the charging. It was down to about 3 amps (1% of the total battery bank) which the combined wisdom of those that know would suggest the AGM's came pretty much fully charged.

I got chance to stop aboard earlier this week to 'test' the batteries and it was great to have the fridge on and the TV and the batteries took it all in their stride. I did spend a daft amount of time on my Ipad checking the data from the comfort of the sofa as the BMV712 has built in bluetooth !

So just need to build a new battery box cover and do an oil change and this phase of emptying my wallet is over !!

No comments: