Monday 25 February 2019

The donk seems to have survived its open heart surgery

D day last Thursday  - D for donk as the Lister CS2 was reunited with its heads that had been off to have its valves ground and its injectors cleaned and checked as well as a through de-coke (it was not too bad for about 1400 hours. )

The only part(s) needing replacing were the valve sleeves as they had a little wear. I don't recall Tony telling me the recesses where the valves sit need filling with oil to lubricate the valves. I read this in my CS2 original handbook that I purchased then found the Indians has photocopied it to A5 and included it with the engine. Needless to say they get filled as needed as part of the lubrication regime.

Incidentally the manual says de-coke every 500 hours ! I guess this was in a time when fuels were nothing like as clean as we have now. The engine was not at all bad for saying in my tenure a chunk of the hours have been low load battery charging - more on that in another blog. 

I watched Richard the engineer use his experience to get it back together with such calmness it was really (for me) a pleasure to watch him work.

We ran it up to temperature to check for leaks and all was well. Not the cheapest but not as expensive as I had thought, I painted the block and the engineering company who did the clean and other bits on the head painted that so it looks nice and shiny again.

Yesterday we set off late as ever for a couple of days re-exploring this part of the system. I think the last time we were up here it was on Waterlily just after its paint job when we did the four counties.

Here is the block and pistons after the decoke


Then it was time for the bump test. heard about it but never watched it done 


Gaskets on 


Heads on and torqued down 


Valve gear in place with pushrods added


We took the opportunity to clear out the fuel filter that was not too bad, one of the benefits of having a day tank I guess.

All the bits were put on and the water/antifreeze topped up, tappets set  and after bleeding no2 pump she fired up and ran lovely.

One frustration with the Indian Listers is they have removed the centre studs that are another torque point for the heads, I think they have been removed as the engine is bored out from the original to give it more power 20/2 instead of 16 2. I think these missing studs do not help the pulling down of the heads to the block. Nothing much to do about it I guess.

....Next the flatteries

No comments: