Friday 24 January 2020

A boater to remember and talk about Les Biggs

I don't have a faith I believe when you die you are kept alive by others thinking and talking about you, as those people themselves pass on then your name gets spoken less and you gently rest in peace.

So while I can I'll remember Les Biggs who was a true boater and who was one part of an amazing couple who met fell in love and lived and laughed brought together by the love of the canals in England and Wales.

I have one profound regret and that is not spending more time with Jaq, when returning from my retirement cruise I spotted her on NB Valerie. I jumped off letting my friends cruise on and we had a hug and tears and spoke briefly of Les and Jaq's immense grief. I wanted to stay longer, talk longer but as is the case on the canals boats move apart like an invisible watery tug of war with a rope of hope and friendship never really breaking. Jaq his lovely soul mate who carried on showing her true Alaskan grit on the canals for a couple of years afterwards will always be held in the highest of fondness and we do keep in touch but facebook is the canal we both cruise now.

Today is the third anniversary of Les' passing so I'll raise a glass tonight and have a laugh with the love of my life while talking of Les.

Two photographs, one on the Coventry canal when I drove over one weekend just for a cup of tea and some lovely cake and the other when I managed to get Percy in the same shot as Les had done with Valerie on the Caldon canal. Les should know how much he inspired me to make that journey to get that picture to remember him.





1 comment:

Carol said...

Thanks for posting Nev. we too have been thinking and talking about Les and Jaq today, as we have done regularly over the past three years. Our thoughts and love have been with Jaq.