Wednesday 4 November 2020

N is for a November boat visit and internet improvements

With the impending lockdown approaching we carried through with our planned overnighter to Percy, the only one we can do in November. We arrived to a nice clean boat so all we had to do was light the fire and start a few planned jobs 

Rachel set to sanding and varnishing the window frames as we have ordered some new curtains for Percy! I set to undoing the work I did installing the router ( TpLink ) specifically the screw in terminals I put on after shortening the cables. This was the advice I received from the internet as the cables were too long for the location of the router and were a spaghetti mess that it’s advised increased signal distortion and reduced speed. I had brought a small packet of 5 end terminals that needed the cable stripping back and the terminals crimping on.... here the hydraulic crimper I purchased for my engine battery reconfigure came in handy, this time using the 6mm crimps. 

On the last visit I was unhappy with the performance of the cut back cable set up - especially as my neighbour Mandy with the same set up was getting over a steady 10mb download on my old 3 router I had swapped for a coat ! This trip with the help of Rachel I was able to test a EE sim ( crap) and my 3 sim from my phone as just putting the phone in the front window was getting around 4mb. It soon became apparent moving the cable altered the signal strength indicating a dodgy crimp..... so I re did them with more care and attention. 

I also mounted the TpLink router on the outside of the unit above the kitchen so it was now visible ( signal strength) and we were able to reuse the pan cupboard again. I also made up an extension so the router shares the plug with the digital radio charger and microwave..... tidy job.

Bottom line last night we were getting 11mb ..... best I’ve ever got here. I think Mandy gets more but her mount is higher, we are very happy with the speed now. 

It was a stormy night, rocking the boat and rain hammering down, the fire was lit we were warm and cosy.... boating or being in the boat  in the Autumn is to be recommended. 

Today was a lovely full on blustery walk along Shebdon embankment then it was rest pack up and go home for the rest of November. Wherever you are please keep safe and follow the guidance it’s for all our benefits.

Some pictures ... 

Before

After







2 comments:

Richard said...

May I ask what varnish you used on the window surrounds?

Nev Wells said...

Hi Richard, Rachelsays a water based internal varnish ...medium oak