Thursday 31 December 2020

An alternative perspective to end 2020

I wrote my last blog post before Christmas but did not post it as it was quite negative, not very festive but it needed recording. I'm working hard at being positive and have every reason to be looking forward. I recently read a BBC article about positive thinking and am trying to practice what I read.

Talking of reading I failed on my reading target for the last two months with a woeful three and a bit books rather than four in November I targeted. I do enjoy reading but get distracted.... but at least I still have plenty to go at and I added a ghost story - Platform Seven recommended from Sarah's Blog .... here  

The stove got fitted (at the cottage)  and fired up just before Christmas  - we've been enjoying using the coal and wood in the workshop if for nothing else to start freeing up space in there. We still need to paint the surrounds and chimney breast. It's in a very old cottage ... 200 plus years old we think so needed to look rustic and be practical, deep hearth helps keep the ash off the carpet ! 

I have also reflected on the two trips we achieved in 2020 - the four counties which I think I have said before could be done time and again and I'd still not get bored with it and finally getting Percy plus Rachel and I over the Pontcysyllte aqueduct.







Plus a bike trip to Scotland ....




Finally to pick up on my positive approach to 2021 I have this morning (29th December) booked the dry dock for Percy's blacking and hull survey in October so that'll be another cruise over to Stone. The lady who I spoke to was so helpful and friendly which bodes well for the actual 'event' in October. Plus I have recommendation from Carol of Stillrockin Just hope the hull survey goes as well - I have contacted Balliol who has surveyed the three boats we have brought as well as doing the C&RT damage survey on Percy. Given the time scales I am confident we can secure his services again ( he has confirmed ). Then it'll be booking Nigel the Boat Safety fella for the inspection when we get back from Stone in late October.

We have also adjusted holidays around Rachel's University and NHS commitments that will give us a couple of weeks in late April for a trip to not sure where yet. 

Could be :
  1. Chester
  2. The Ashby
  3. Top of the Macclesfield
  4. Up the Caldon again
  5. Stourport basin 
Two weeks to play with so it will be CanalplanAC to plan/plot that for sure.

Before that I have the stove to fit and engine to deep service so Percy will be getting some attention in the early part of next year. We have in the past been aboard over the New Year. My good friend Mandy has just sent us some pictures of Percy sitting out in the snow. I know how long it would take to get Percy to a comfortable heat so for now I think we will wait until the daytime temperatures are higher and there is some sun on the side to get a bit of solar gain. 

This year we will be in the Snowy moorlands to kick 2020's arse into the history books ! 




1 comment:

Carol said...

Fingers crossed Nev that whatever you decide to do and wherever you decide to go in 2021 that you thoroughly enjoy the New Year.