Monday 7 December 2020

I need a boat fix

More than once in the recent past I've considered selling Percy. Boats are a real expense and if like me you do as much maintenance on them yourself it is a 'load' on your time and ( for me) whittle time  - those quiet moments when trying to relax the little red boating devil on my shoulder starts asking me questions such as, 

  • When are you going to lay the kitchen and bathroom floors? 
  • Isn't it about time you hoovered out the water heater burners? 
  • What about that major engine service, the one where you take the side off the engine to get to the sump?
  • Those curtains are coming soon, when will you finish the window refurb?
  • That forecabin is a state, needs a sort and declutter...
  • Could have done with a polish before winter 
  • Those little bits of paint that need addressing ....
  • Have you booked the dry dock for November next year for the blacking and insurance survey....
... and on and on.

Having said all that we were so lucky this year as while all other holidays were cancelled we had two great two week holidays around the four counties and to ( nearly) the end of the Llangollen.

To justify the boat to me I like to use it all year and this latest lockdown whilst easier in conditions ( we could and did visit the boat for the day ) has been a frustration but understandable one. 

I was planning to go to the boat on Thursday to stay over for a few days and crack on with the engine service. However a hospital appointment ( Thursday) and a stove delivery ( Friday) has put a dent in that. We will still possible go this weekend ..... C&RT advice below:

As of 2 December 2020 our navigations will be open for you to cruise – and stay on board overnight – subject to ongoing government guidance. The Government advises that people should specifically try to avoid leaving or entering very high alert level areas (tier 3), other than for things like work or education so we would strongly advise against travelling to or from your boat, or boating for any distance, in these areas.

We are in tier 3 as is our boat so we are not crossing tier borders ! My interpretation, other interpretations are no doubt available. As through this period I've practiced common sense, limiting my exposure to others and others exposure to me while at the same time being sensible with my own mental health, and I get low  (SAD  -Seasonal Affection Disorder).  So I need to be out doing thing being it walking, fishing motorcycling or boating. 

My life my sensible choices and balanced risk. 

A report will follow (hopefully) 


2 comments:

Andy said...

Listen to the green angel on the other shoulder more Nev ..more cruising, more biking, more exploring and relax.

Nev Wells said...

Sadly as I get older I find it harder to relax, those jobs that were challenges in the past, something to look forward to and plan, now are chores and full of possibilities of failure.... just bailed from the boat, no cruising no jobs done, crappy internet despite putting effort into trying to improve it (outside aerial dedicated 4g router) Locked it up and drove away.... I'll blog about it.