Wednesday 21 December 2022

SAD best day of the year and remembering Charles

Today is one of my best days of the year, I'll take it over Christmas day, New Years Eve and my birthday (easy) as it represents the furthest tilting of the earth from the sun and from tomorrow onwards we in the northern hemisphere start our gradual tilt back to longer daylight hours and warmer temperatures as we tilt back to the sun - lovely.

For SAD people like me it is a relief to know the days of sunlight  will get a little longer slowly but surely. Nothing grand happens other than in my head and soul as I make my own thanks for a climate that brings these changes that slow us down and speed us up... I start looking forward to plans and opportunities. I reflect what I achieved this year and what plans I have to realise into 2023. 

Winter is necessary and beautiful... the shots below were taken when I was going to Chinley to Callum's house - looking over the Roches and towards Buxton as well as the Cheshire plain 





So I will raise a glass tonight to whoever or whatever put me here and hope I and my loved ones have a future that is safe and warm and bright. 

I will also raise a glass to my late father in law Charles Lambert. It would have been his 86th birthday today.  He was one of a kind and we do miss him. He was very 'proper' in an old English sort of way. He liked a drink and he liked his food. I knew him for many years as Rachel and I met very young. Not sure he immediately approved, I was very working class and he was very much middle class as could be identified in my youth, but over time we had a mutual respect and fondness despite him drinking most of my beer and wine when on the boat and even pinching our bed one time ! The time before when we put him on the dinette he demonstrated his disapproval but getting ready for bed early and sitting in his underpants while we all made our way to our own beds ( early) 

Happy Birthday Charles & Happy Winter Solstice 






No comments: