Saturday 1 January 2022

Need my canal mojo back

Since putting Percy in marina jail I’ve lost my enthusiasm for the canals and Percy. Ok this time of year can be difficult for boating with stoppages and short cold days but in the past we’ve been out and about enjoying the quiet winter canals.

Percy’s engine is disabled at the moment while I try and get it sorted either by myself or an engineer who knows stuff. More likely me in the new year as I’m struggling to get someone out to it who's a reasonable distance. For now I’m paying higher bills for mooring than I’d like and not using any of the facilities. I need to paint the gas locker so that’ll test the ‘no working on boats’ policy the marina seems to have. The rules are one of the things that gripe me a lot. 

I visited a few days ago to check the batteries and the bilge pump etc and all was ok. One thing is I know unless we can be moved I’ll not stay too long, being at the back is ok ( to do unseen work on the boat!) but I miss seeing boats moving on the cut. Always had a linear mooring. 

Updates in the New Year hopefully but for now a view from the rear doors ( it’s too shallow at the back of the marina to reverse Percy in) 




2 comments:

Richard said...

We were put off a number of marinas because of their lists of do's and don's. I was looking for a winter mooring for 5/6 months.

Have taken a mooring at Baddesley Wharf in Atherestone. Coldnt be more pleased-no silly rules, friendly owners and moorers-near town. Only slight downside no pump out.

However big upside it is private waters and so not CRT licences required!!

Nev Wells said...

Thanks for the comment Richard. I guess there are rules and there is enforcement ….. the latter may be the deciding factor of our time at GH. I like the staff and the location. However now we have taken the jump into marina storage we can like others move around a bit …. If we end up keeping Percy.