Monday 10 October 2022

To the furthest point West

Last year I did a LEJoG  - well two if you count getting to Lands End and getting back from John o'Groats  over about 11 days on my Himalayan  - one of the best adventures for me in a long time. Afterwards a seed was planted especially as a good friend is an IronButter(!) and had done the fully monty in under 48 hours (look up Iron Butt association mad in my opinion)  

 

Simple route is from Day 1 my place in the Staffordshire moorlands through mid Wales to Fishguard - 213 miles . Day two is visit St Davids then off across the Brecon Beacons to Chipping Norton  - 235 miles. Day 3 sees me getting to Ness point going under the Birminghammy bit swinging by Huntingdon and Cambridge and through Suffolk to Ness point then a hotel in Lowestoft  - 207 miles. Last day home I'll be calling at a friends in Spalding then stopping to see my sister in Oakham before getting home  - 232 miles.

 

I'll be getting a bit of weather  - can't really avoid it at this time of year I guess but it will be nice to say I've taken the Himmy to the four corners of Mainland Britain. I was originally planning a trip to Ardnamurchan Point but I think I'd be pushing my luck with the weather even more. Plus that leaves me that one for early next year !

 

Of course the RT will be sulking but this is the Himmy's right of passage. Hopefully if I arrive back safe a nice way to end a decent year of tours.


The trip..... ( so far) Cold start 6c ( it may be colder tomorrow) saw me adding my heated jacket under my textile jacket and the grips on to 75% ( Reynauds). My route out of Staffordshire into Shropshire was via some very well used by farmers and therefore  mucky lanes. The bike soon looked like it had been used again. Then just lovely roads  bright sunshine and the Himmy puttering away to slowly eat up the miles... very few A roads many B roads and lots of just roads or more likely lanes. 

 

I stopped off at my lunch stop which was the cafe ( that was closed) at the Lln Clywedog reservoir which was looking well used. Then on the Newquay, a bitter sweet arrival as I was here for the New Year in a cottage with Rachel and her sister Sharon and Leia out much loved and much travelled pooch. who we sadly lost in July.

 

The last hour was quickly dispatched and I checked into my loft  accommodation overlooking Fishguard harbour - fantastic view of the evening coming in. I'm tired now 210 miles for the day so will have an early night and be up to watch the reverse show of the dawn arriving tomorrow morning  (unusual for me ) 


Tomorrow is to get to St David's then over the Brecon beacons and then Chipping Norton  no less. 












 

Tomorrow is to get to St David's then over the Brecon beacons and then Chipping Norton  no less. 

No comments: