Saturday 23 December 2023

My latter year catch up

I was out on the tools some of them my old dads bricklaying tools that always make me feel he's sitting on my shoulder watching !!

When we had the oil boiler serviced the local plumber suggested more support for the oil tank. It was on my to do list but got brought forward. It's been as it was for a good year or two and was never  picked up before but for my peace of mind I set a small strip foundation to build up some high density blocks on. Not the prettiest but very functional and in the spring I intend boxing it in with trellis to also cloak my amateurish bricklaying where I removed the window that was part covered by the oil tank. 






Overall quite pleased with the work and outcome 

We have a sump pump I installed a while back to take ground water from the fields that rises near the garage foundations and in the past this water has penetrated the garage. the sump collects it now and the pump puts in into the drains - a simple but effective solution. However it was running excessively a few weeks ago and I tracked it back to a blocked inspection pit on the road outside out back gate. Luckily Severn Trent have this on their system as one of theirs to maintain as the cover got broken by a tractor pulling a 14 tons tank full of silage the other year.... they came out within 24 hours of me reporting it - well done Severn Trent.

More afternoon blood bike shifts also on the 28th November. Picked this BMW RS1250 from County Hospital in Stafford. Rode to Stoke for path lab stuff to go into Birmingham and also picked up a Heart tape from Birmingham Children's hospital that went to the open hand of a doctor back in Stoke Royal University hospital about 6.30 pm then back to Stafford then home - a long day.


Back to Callum's in Chinley to fill his central heating and pressure test our joints... a few weeps that were nipped up and we ran it for a few hours to check it all - so far so good. Just three more rads to add now his floor has been laid downstairs and when we install the bath and sink toilet etc in the bathroom two up there. 

It was Rachels works Christmas party same day but the weather forecast was for lots of snow so at the last minute we booked a room in the lovely hotel the party was being held at in Chesterfield. A good time was had by all and I got a restful evening in the room !

On our return the fires were lit at home including the big bugger that heats much of the house ! 







Mandy our good boaty friend sent us a picture of Percy waiting in the snow for us 

The cold brought an unforeseen problem in that my 11.6kw of house batteries were restricting their charge as they protect themselves in the cold. So a trip to B&Q in Derby while Rachel was at her choir got me the required insulation board a small greenhouse heater connected to a smart plug and some ply to make the install saveable for next year ! All works and the batteries are working away in their little hibernation space very efficiently. 

We were still getting out for walks essential for our health the Caldon canal is always picturesque in the cold especially with the steam trains running the Santa specials in the valley. 


Percy got a check visit early December. I tried to run the genny but I think it needs a tad more oil as it kept cutting out despite fresh fuel with stabiliser in it. My thinking is there is low oil pressure being detected?

We have half a plan to get on board over Christmas ....but family stuff might get in the way again. 

I have mentioned in the past about our batteries and solar. I am ever more aware of the need now not only to keep physically fit but also mentally fit. I challenged myself to get a Home assistant server running on a Raspberry PI to show all the inverter and solar detail. This included making a serial link to my home network.... I enjoyed the challenge and got it working. It is a bit of a rabbit hole project as I now want to add all the other smart home stuff Ivy Cottage is blessed with ! 


Its a good way to spend these darker winter months while stretching my metal capability. 

No comments: