Friday 22 March 2019

The sweet smell of Cannabis - but what is it.

In the last few weeks of pottering on the mooring I have had the ever present sweet smell of Cannabis in my nostrils. Now I have been known to inhale every now and again, purely for medicinal use of course  - it is supposed to be good for Fibromyalgia after all.

On a related point I sat on a jury and heard a case regarding supply and conspiracy to supply a large volume of Cannabis and the defence of one of the accused was she was not aware it was being 'processed' in her house ! It is quite a unique smell - she did get found guilty as did others, as the foreman of the jury I was the one to give the pronouncement.  How do I reconcile the two as an occasional medicinal user and someone who sent someone down for supplying the likes.... well I think it should be re classified as in my opinion it is no worse than alcohol and tobacco.

Anyhow I traced the smell to this plant - it is not a Cannabis plant for sure but it does have a very similar smell. I have no idea what it is so any suggestions please?




4 comments:

Steve Parkin said...

Nev,

My wife Maggie recognised it immediately as the lily Crown Imperial (Fritillaria imperialis). see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritillaria_imperialis

Its a pretty plant. I note that Wikipedia says it has a "foxy odour that repels mice, moles and other small animals". Fox odour is pungent.

Best wishes, Steve

Nev Wells said...

Thanks Steve, certainly has an odour, I'd not describe it as Foxy as I know that smell from when Leia rubs her ruff in the stuff - horrible.

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

We had 2 van loads of cannabis waste duped in out village on the road side, it took 6 weeks for the council to remove it as it was hazardous due to spores living in the roots.

Anonymous said...

Fritillary Imperiallis bulbs emit a very strong lingering smell of cannabis! My conservatory reeked of the smell (which I can’t bear) each morning since I received a delivery of bulbs from Holland. I put it down to my neighbour who frequently puffs the stuff but in this instance it wasn’t him, it was the bulbs. You live and learn as they say!