Friday 12 November 2021

Depressed in November

Take your pick for other words to use to describe  November - the clocks going back, crap weather etc etc etc they add up to making me  how I feel about this time of year.

It used to get me every year - low mood I think the doctors called it - otherwise known as depression. In the past I've taken St. John's Wort tablets - basically a herbal antidepressant but they are bloody addictive and a bugger to come off in spring.  I used  St Johns wort tea bags when I was living on the boat as a half way house  - Since retiring I've been clear of it but this year for reasons I can't nail down its got into my head and won't leave. 

I will evict 'it' and I won't be at the doctors or health shop taking pills (might go for tea bags) for it either. I've prescribed a high dose of daylight and aching muscles that will be the outcome of increased fitness I'll pursue.  I'm also off alcohol in the main. Just not fancying it at the moment. I still have a glass of red wine occasionally but not as much as I used to drink. 

I'm posting this because I need to look back on it and prove it was a 'thing' not something that owned me for any degree of time. I am also posting it as I know others suffer and sharing is good. 

So looking forward to bogging November off but at the same time I'm in no hurry to wish my life away ...Keep smiling and I hope this reflection has not brought you down in any way.

2 comments:

nb Bonjour said...

Good luck Nev, it's February that really gets me. Also doing at least an hour outside every day and exercise. Not tried St John's Wort, I'll get some tea bags to try. Keep us posted with anything you find helpful. I work hard at trying to notice at least one thing beautiful or interesting when I'm outside, anything from a robin singing or a cloud formation to an amusing car registration. And looking ahead not down as I walk.
best wishes
Debby

Nev Wells said...

Hi Debby, Thanks for the positive comment. I'm usually ok past January as I can see the changes coming (lighter in the evenings etc) plus I'm closer to being able to do the things I planned over the winter. Good tips there and I do very much try and live in the moment and notice nature. Walking or cycling is good for me as the exercise releases those endorphins. Give the tea bags a try they helped me but the tablets were very addictive but also helped a lot and they are a natural remedy so better than the pharmaceutical equivalent. Keep smiling