Saturday 13 November 2021

Faith - the atheists disadvantage

Sorry if these posts are a bit deep... but they are what's in my head. 

The above statement is inpart owned by Stephen Fry who said ( it may have been on desert island disks  - my go to driving and cleaning podcast favourite) as an atheist he had to live his best and fullest life while alive as he like me believes there is no afterlife and when you are dead - end of... nothing, like those times you go to sleep and do not dream, you are not aware or conscious at all - thats how I see death, a very final act. 

So I was walking the other day thinking things as you do and I reflected on how lucky you are if you have a faith. I always said I'd revert back to the church when I got older as I may well need comfort that the afterlife may bring but is removed from me being an atheist. Now that's like backing the best team in the league because they always win despite living in a football town of losers... not really on and not something I can convince myself about - even now. 

I am 'Church of England' and if I'm honest did like to hear the bible stories when we went to chapel every Wednesday at College Primary School, Great Northern Road in Derby ( sadly now a housing estate). I also liked the hymns and the sermons. But try as I might Jesus, buda Allah is absent from my life. I do have a bible which I intend to start reading as one thing I do 'think' is that the bible is a book written to help steer people to being good, sometime by positive role models and sometime out of fear !!

So when I reflect on a few peoples comments "You are always out and about" "Always doing something" "You have so many holidays" etc etc.... that's because I have to, I can't cheat the privilege I've been given/earnt.

So until I get faith if ever.... I like Mr Fry will have to live life to the full.... which to be honest isn't all bad.

Right  - got to plan those 2022 trips and yes I'll update soon on Percy's Donk, which in the spirit of the positive, at least I have a good idea what the problem is .... but as to how many motorbike tokens  (££££) it'll take to fix it... to be decided  !

No comments: