Monday 18 July 2022

In a world of waste

We all must try and do a little bit of recycling or more importantly re using.

It's a semi selfish  position as I enjoy tinkering and fixing stuff. It challenges my mind and keeps my body dexterous. We use recycled materials on the cottage where ever we can and try and focus on maximising green energy - more on that later in the year hopefully.

I find watching YouTube videos of computer repair very relaxing  (!)  and have been fixing up relatives old IT. I'm at the point I need to redistribute this tech and I'm pleased to be able to do so. 

A 15 inch MacBook is sorted now with a new SSD and the latest operating OS from Apple. Apple only support the last 3 OS's and their old kit is not upgradable to these OS's. There is a team of dedicated programmers who have this sorted and I use a patch to allow the Mac to run the latest OS. Less to the recyclers less new stuff made = better for the planet.

I also was given an old non working Acer laptop from another relative house move. Brought a charger for it and a new battery, turns out the IO chip is faulty meaning the keyboard does not work on all keys. So I took a punt on an EBAY spare or repair laptop same make and model that had it turns out a duff screen (plug a external monitor and I got it up and working fine). So the motherboard was taken from one and gifted to the other ( the one from the relatives with the working screen) Now I have another perfectly functional laptop that's going to one of my sisters for a new home.

I still have a couple of other Macbooks to sort, one will become a Chrome book   and the other has an I7 processor in it so that will become my travel macbook  - rather than taking this macbook I'm typing this on now that is 9 years old an I7 that still is perfectly serviceable ( I've upgraded the M.2 drive on it to 1TB and also replaced the battery)

So if you can make do and mend  - our world needs it and of course it'll allow you the comfort of an easier conscience as and when you do need to buy new.

Now.... do we need two cars ? 

Make one good one form two duffers. 

Open heart surgery on the windows laptop. It's great to be able to give them a decent clean out as well  - the fans for the CPU's get quite clogged up. 


One perfectly working laptop ready for another few years  - well until 2025 when Microsoft stop supporting windows 10  - it might run Windows 11 but we'll see then 


3 comments:

Mervyn said...

Nev;

How has the Greasomatic stern greaser worked out. Are you still using it?

Mervyn
NB Summer King

Nev Wells said...

Hi Mervyn,

Yes still using the greasomatic cartridges. They are very good in my opinion, always keeping the right pressure and therefore right amount of grease in the stern gland. We get very little water in the bilge. I’d recommend them as a fit and just about forget aspect of boating.

Mervyn said...

Thanks, Nev.