Thursday 22 September 2022

Dominated by HS2

Day two of the cruise to the Ashby (Rachel's choice) saw us departing Wolseley bridge after it seems the 'rush' if it could be called that had happened. We didn't have a boat behind us all day, and we do cruise slowly.

An uneventful passage  along a well known stretch of canal to us. Everyone we met seems in a positive mood (except me) apart from the boater who complained he was meeting too many 12 foot wide boats, ironically telling me this as he sped past us as I was getting ready to untie ! Familiar places only changed by the seemingly relentless addition of ever more new housing estates, all with very unique names hiding the fact they were clones of similar estates across the country. No wonder the rivers are ever more having sewage discharged into them from the extra surface water sent their way - another rant for another day !

I did say we didn't have anything behind us but there was a steady flow of traffic towards us, all we manoeuvred around the bridge holes and ever present encroaching off side vegetation.   

Rugeley was quieter than I was expecting, we of course had boats to contend with around the nasty turn by Ashtree boat club.... Also as we approached the Armitage narrows  - I was the walking lookout a boat was coming through so I signalled to Rachel such - and she slowed and held right channel, their crew lookout came marching towards us/me with a flat hand lifted in command, more than once pumping it forward in a Moses like pose to reiterate her boat was coming through. Funny lady, as I approached I reassured her we were aware of her boat, this got a shrug as she walked passed saying nothing, her husband also gave no eye contact. Now I have been dressing like a tramp so far on this holiday so maybe I wasn't to their taste, they could have had an argument, she might have needed a wee or tea or food who knows. Politeness costs little however your mood and me being a moody sod is an expert on moody politeness. 

Ever onwards the day taking longer than the 4 hours we had planned each day to be we approached Kings Bromley bridge and an over polite hire boat crew stuck their boat right into the bank. As we passed I thanked them for their consideration and asked if they were stuck, I think we are ok was the ladies reply but as we slowly introduced canal between us  ( or I did) they were quite stemmed up. Maybe I should have stopped and reversed but I didn't by the time I looked back  ( I avoid the seemingly standard glance back at boats I've passed  - it's a test of endurance as it's like an itch you have to scratch) they were getting some boat pole action going  - all part of the holiday and maybe a story to tell.

I was saddened to see Woodend cottage all fenced off - I know the last tenant who was asked to leave and take all the moored boats due to access issues when the white elephant that is HS2 is built around the canal.  If this is progress I don't like progress.

We turned onto the Coventry with a bump ( out of practice) and headed for the Coop moorings as we call them at Fradley village  - and as we arrived late they were full, never known it before ! So we donked on in the hope the 'BW boats' only one bit of armco was free by Fradley water works... and it was and the sign had gone also so I have to presume this is now a one boat bit of armoco on this stretch. A bit of A38 noise and a few cars on the road but not too bad a place to moor (we have moored there before albeit taking the risk)













2 comments:

Adam said...

I imagine we’ll pass you tomorrow (Saturday) as we are heading towards Fazeley.

Nev Wells said...

I think we will pass on the Atherstone flight as we are now at the bottom. My blog is a day behind, it will be nice to meet up - was on the Caldon last time.