Friday 23 September 2022

I am a tool !

The best one in the tool box on the boat Why do I say that  - my ears and nose are very good at picking up changes to the engine. On the cruise today the engine smelt different. On closer visual inspection and some close nose sniffing it turned out to be a very slightly loose exhaust stud allowing some residue to fall onto the engine I could smell it burning off ! Nipped up the bolts. When back at base I'll replace the two exhaust gaskets. Also cylinder 1 nearest the stern is running slightly cooler ( I used a remote temp sensor to gauge that) Again nor wanting to fiddle while cruising I'll adjust on the last day back to base.

Another slow start and we were off to give the noisy A38 a fly by before heading off into the country towards Fazeley junction. Again the HS2 works loomed close to the canal - not crossing it but active the other side of Streethay.

Nothing much to report other than stopping to help the Fountains grass cutters one of which had got his mower bogged down in the soft towpath, I tried a rope to the boat but it was well and truly stuck. I left them as they were calling for a winch.

Always nice as you approach Hopwas through the woods. We tied up at Sutton bridge and did a bit of shopping. Not stopped here before and doubt we will again. We were serenaded to sleep to the sound of what I have to assume were stolen cars being bounced off their rev limiter as they must have been racing between the traffic islands. 








No comments: