Saturday 29 May 2021

Lejog day 8 rained all day 170 miles of it

My ultra wet Lejog day 8..... but I still enjoyed it.

I was woken at 3am by someone knocking on my door ! Seems someone got confused in the night. I was then woken by my alarm then the rain hitting the hotel room window at 7am…. The rain has not stopped all day  - in my hotel room now in Ullapool and it's still raining. 


Waterproofs on waterproofs and liners in  - Mid May ! 



Whilst the rain was a dampener today it could only give this part of Scotland a different costume to wear, moody grey but still quite stunning in and out of the misty veils.



I had planned two routes one that took my over the Bealach na Ba  - Pass of the cattle to Applecross and one that missed that pass and peninsula out  - As the Beach na Ba is considered a right of passage for motorcyclists I took the pass and wow what an experience. It goes up to over 2,000 feet in 5 miles with switchback and blind bends with passing places ! It was an unforgettable experience and I will do it again when the weather is more forgiving but wind and rain tested me and the bike - but we arrived at the top to misty views all around.





The other jewel on this route was the road around the peninsular a 25 mile up and a dower to Sheildaig, again mainly on single width roads with passing placed. 








Then is got a bit surreal
  - the road A896 goes through what is like a moonscape with massive mountains on each side - very very desolate. I had to stop and send the drone up despite it still raining hard. You can see the rain on the drone video…. sent it up to over 400 feet this time, and it still was being scored on by the mountains. One looked like a volcano with mist hovering over its crown and scree slopes like molten lava. Weirdest thing was there was a small copse of pine trees and there was a cuckoo calling loud and clear ! 










Then I had the best luck of the trip…. rode off after packing up and about a mile down the road I suddenly could not remember putting my phone back in my jacket…. frantic jacket tapping - no phone. I stopped and the phone was still on the top of the right hand pannier lid !! I suspect capillary attraction has ‘stuck it there’ I did say a little thank you !


Then onto the A832 with a stop at Loch Maree for coffee and food…. The weather then got mean with more rain, the sort you hear hitting your visor and wind…. for some reason the wind picked up and made riding hard …. I didn’t enjoy the section and only when I dropped away from the coast in ever heavier rain did the wind ease and the roads got super curvy  - the sort of curvy the Himalayan at 50-60 throbbed along at - I got behind a Jag XJR ( I think ) he was keeping to the speed limits but gunning it every now and again - lovely sound.










Arrived in Ullapool to the most expensive hotel of the trip - lovely sea views, just watched the ferry come in
  - but I’m worth it, better I spend it now than the care homes get it later ! 



Rain in the morning then hopefully should brighten up as I get to the other end of Britain…. not looked at that route yet but it’s pretty prescribed.


Another 175 miles today rained every one of them but still brilliant …. Struggling for internet again... may get this one video up. .... I was worried about midges not storms ! 

2 comments:

Jim said...

I saw a motorcyclist stall his bike on one of those bends on the Belach when I was cycling (mostly walking!) up there. Fortunately his mates were around to help him get back on the bike and get going again.

Nev Wells said...

Would not surprise me ....a few of the switchbacks with steep inclines need a lot of clutch slip to get round and up. Impressed you cycled it